Newbie question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by LineSacker, Oct 1, 2006.

1. LineSacker

LineSacker Auditioning

Sep 30, 2006
    I'm new to this forum and feeling as though technology has passed me by a bit. It seems like you would be the right people to ask.....

A few years ago, I purchased a Toshiba home theater in a box (HTIB)

The DVD player has stopped working. I have another old DVD player which I'd like to use as a stopgap solution. Is it possible to hook up the old DVD player through the HTIB to allow me to still use the 5.1 speaker system?

Since the DVD player is no longer working, I presume that I will have to buy an entire new system. I'm guessing that you can't buy a new HTIB receiver/DVD player and use my existing speakers.

Are there any low priced HTIB systems that you would recommend or is it just not a good idea to buy the DVD player and the receiver as a single, combined unit?

Thank you for any advice and/or suggestions.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Jul 17, 2006
    generally not a good idea to buy all in one systems, because just like this situation if one part goes bad the whole system basically isn't worth having anymore. Unless the main unit has a digital input via Toslink or coaxial then it will not be able to do 5.1 anymore. However it does likely have a stereo RCA input so you could still do pro logic or stereo.

If you don't want to take a downturn in sound quality I would suggest buying a receiver and a sub, then later when your budget permits buy new speakers.
  3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

May 19, 2002
    To add to what Seth wrote, I checked the documentation on the link you provided and it was contradictory: there was a statement that there was no 5.1 input and one that there was an optical input.

Look at your unit. If there is an optical, audio input or a digital, coax input, you can use your HTIB as an audio receiver. Also as Seth writes, if you have red/white RCA, stereo inputs, you can at least use your receiver for 2-channel audio.

However, even if this turns out to be the case, the fact that one portion of your box quit working, does not lend very much hope for the future.