What's new

Newbie question (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Does it matter how much power output the amp has as long as it doesn't go over the maximum recommended amp power (MRAP) for the speakers? Or can the amp have more power than recommended, as long as I adjust the amp (if that's possible)? Will I get better performance from my speakers if the amp puts out 125 and the MRAP is 125 compared to an amp that only puts out 100?

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
Well let me first say that amp ratings are pretty much all fluff. There are only a few manufactures who give good numbers and that pretty much goes for speaker ratings too. Second let me say that if you have an amp that is good for 100w a channel and you have speakers rated to 75w you will be fine. It is always better to have some extra than not enough power. Speakers are damaged by a weak amp that clips much easier than giving them to much power.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You will get better performance even still if you have an amp that puts out 1,000 watts into the same speakers.

this all presumes amps of equal design quality. Obviously some amps with relatively little power may sounds incredible while some commercial amps designed for maximum power but with less regard to sound quality may sound worse. But in terms of speakers, too much amp capability is MUCH MUCH better, and it's also better for your system performance. The actual power your amp is outputting depends of course on the volume dial. In my scenario of 1,000 watts, you will damage the speakers if you blast the volume, but you will actually damage them sooner(but differently) with an underpowered amp driven into clipping. And it will sound like crap. 1,000 amps pushing a speaker to it's limits won't sound as hideous. If that's any consolation ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks