Newbie question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Fletcher, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I am considering getting a widescreen TV.( mainly for watching dvds.) I am a little confused about 16:9. Will all anomorphic widescreen dvds play without the letterbox on a widescreen Tv? Can someone explain the difference between 1;85 and 2:35(i think i typed it right.) I thought I read something that even if I watch a anomorphic 2;35 dvd on a widescreen tv It will still have the letterboxing on it.
    P.S. please excuse my ignorance on this topic.
    thanks.

2. teague

teague Auditioning

Larry,
    1.66:1, 1.78:1, and 1.85:1 movies will display on a 16x9 set without blackbars, since they are all close to the 16x9(1.78:1) ratio. 2.35:1 movies will have small black bars, but they are not very noticible, especially on the larger sets. This is all purely a geometry issue. While anamorphics DVD's can look better, it does not affect the size of the black bars unless something is mis-configured.
    I hope this clears things up.
    Chris

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hey Larry!
    I am sure someone will come and give a more "technical" explanation than this, but here goes. The other ratios you speak of are just a different way of saying 16:9, etc... (for example, if you divide 16 by 9 you get 1.78 which is why 16x9 is also known as 1.78:1) did that make sense? so a 2.35:1 aspect ratio dvd will still have black bars though they will not be nearly as noticable as they would be on a 4:3 set/screen. Like I said, I'm not super-technical so if someone wants to dig deeper and explain it more thorough, go for it!
    Dan Hine

4. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help!

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

All HD programming is 16.9 or 1.78...
    ------------------