Newbie question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BenKof, May 11, 2004.

1. BenKof

BenKof Agent

Hey all, I'm looking for input on a good receiver for both movies AND music. If the salespeople I've spoken to are to be believed, Arcam and B&K are the only ways to go. The only problem is that I'm looking in the $400 - $500 range. This is my first system and it will be upgraded in the next year or so (basically want decent HT now, but will have more room next year). While there's a lot of great stats on different options out there, I'm getting information overload. Do I really have to shell out $1000 for a decent receiver?

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Depends on what you consider 'decent'...but generally no, you don't have to spend that much to get a decent receiver.

In terms of multi-channel use, just make sure your speaker set can be driven with appropriate power to their specifications. With a powered subwoofer you should have less problems.

It can be difficult to satisfy both HT and Music demands with the same level of competence from one package. But since you have already mentioned possibly upgrading later you can climb that hill when you reach it. [​IMG]

3. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Personally if it's a year I would wait and save the money in what you want.

4. BenKof

BenKof Agent

Paul, is there an accurate way to measure power capability? For example, I auditioned some Paradigm speakers that were rated up to 180 watts with a receiver that delivered 110 watts per channel. Does this mean that the Paradigms won't sound as good with a receiver rated at 85 watts per channel? I asked the salesman this questions and told me not to worry about it ... his tone made me skeptical though.

5. Paul Clarke

Ben,

The Paradigms should sound fine with the 85Wpc receiver, other issues being equal.

Some things to mull over when confronting power issues/concerns:

Receivers are a mixed bag in this regard. Look for terms such as 'continuous power', 'all channels driven' (or multiple channels), etc. These can vary between manufacturers.

Choosing a speaker set with high efficiency will go a long way in added insurance. Something in the mid to high 90's (db's) or above would be ideal (but not necessary). Minimum or lower ratings for power work best with such speakers with less danger of clipping.

Personal example:
    My front 3 speaker set is 125W, 88dB sensitivity, 6 ohms. I have powered them with as little as 60Wpc (receiver) and as much as 210Wpc currently (amp). The move to higher power was more a function of the moderate sensitivity of my speakers and the desire for greater headroom.

6. BenKof

BenKof Agent

Paul,

Thanks again for your advice. It seems the consensus is that a higher rated speaker is the best investment. The more I read on this board, the more it seems that I may not have to upgrade anytime soon. After posting this thread, I read a favorable review of a Yamaha receiver that looks like it would be more than enough for my needs ... the HTR-5760. Combined with a good 5.1 set, I'll have the flexibility to add additional speakers when I have a bit more room. Yamaha has been recommended by a couple of people. Do you have any experience with their receivers?

7. Paul Clarke

Hello Ben,

No, I have no ownership experience with Yammys but I know most of the Yammy owners I've come across swear by them. Generally very reliable.

If you can, since you've mentioned upgrading somewhere in the not-too-distant future, concentrate more on the speaker set for now. This will bring you better long term enjoyment and likely save money. Those who try to balance the quality equation in terms of receiver/prepro and speakers all at once many times find the need (desire[​IMG]) to upgrade both later on.

8. BenKof

BenKof Agent

Hey Paul,

That's a good point about the speakers. At the moment, I'm on the fence between a reasonably priced Paradigm set-up and a slightly-above-budget Monitor Audio system. I was all but sold on the Paradigms until I heard the Monitors. Long term, though, I think the Monitors are the best bet.
    Thanks again, Paul. I'll post my results when I get everything up and running.

9. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

10. NickGL

NickGL Agent

i aquired a new Marantz SR5400 for 500 even with some finagling at a local HT shop and it is by far the best receiver in the range i've heard (and it's 90 wpc 20-20000khz)

i tested it (in store and in my system) and it blew away the mainstream Denon and Yamahas (the yammie in particular sounded very compressed and dark....really below par honestly)

i also tested it against an Onkyo Integra and the Marantz was just slightly better for me (though i could see another ear leaning the other way), the Marantz just seemed more spacious with the soundstaging and with tighter imaging

in a nutshell, this thing made me realize my old Pioneer Elite was my system bottleneck, it brought new life to my speakers that i never knew was ther (late 90s Polk RT55s)

i'd check it out if you have a licensed dealer nearby