NEwbie Question Wiring...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JeanVanDam, Dec 4, 2003.

1. JeanVanDam

JeanVanDam Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    I'm moving to my new house soon [​IMG] and was wondering what is the best way to run speaker wires for rear speakers that I plan to mount on the wall? Should I hire an electricitian to run the wire in the walls?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jean,

Welcome to the Forum!

Depending on how things are at your place, there are ways to run the wiring without going in-wall. For instance, if your walls are white you can run white 16ga. lamp cord up the corners and it will be practically invisible. Other people use thin, flat speaker wire that can be stuck to the wall and painted over.

If you want to run in-wall, check the info at these links. If it looks like more than you can handle, then you should hire a professional. Electricians can do it, so can telephone or cable TV people.

Dropping Wires In-Wall from Attic

Dropping Wires In-Wall from Baseboards, Part 1

Dropping Wires In-Wall from Baseboards Part 2 (With In-Wall Insulation)

Fishing Wires From Under the Floor

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

Unless budget or other considerations override, I would vote for in-wall wiring. This is your house that we are talking about. Don't sell short because you would eventually start seeing those cables every time you went into the room. Follow those links above for detailed advice. I ran a full 7.1 system in a matter of three days. Dirty work, yes. But very very satisfying!

David