Newbie question: Why does the image looks darker when I use component video on my TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorge Y.E., Jan 14, 2003.

1. Jorge Y.E.

Jorge Y.E. Auditioning

Hello!
    I recently upgraded the TV in my HT to a Flat Screen Samsung Tantus. I connected my Pioneer Dv 535 DVD player to the new TV using the component video outputs and to my dismay, the picture looks darker than the image displayed using the composite video output....I must mention that I am using a very standard RCA cable (yellow, red and white kind)...Would this have anything to do with the darker pic?
    I made some test with both connections: The normal composite image was brighter, but the overall color was greenish...Using he component outpout, the colors were perfect, but the image was defenetly darker...I freeze-framed a scene from LOTR and made the test...
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks for your time guys!
    [​IMG]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the forum Jorge.

Both are using different video settings, right?

Do you have a calibration disk like AVIA or Video Essentials? Try calibrating both inputs and you should yield much closer results.

3. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Usually I keep my mouth shut on a question like this because I'm a newbie myself, but from your description it sounds like you are trying to use an RCA cable with component input/output. Won't you need a component video cable for that?

I.e. You can't just plug a yellow/red/white cable into the red/green/blue input/output on your TV and DVD player... you need an actual component video cable for it even though the jacks and plugs are the same style as the RCA.

Anybody?

4. Jorge Y.E.

Jorge Y.E. Auditioning

I did use an RCA cable, since I am not 100% that I need an actual component cable...It does sound logical, though....
    I'll stop by Radio Shack and check the prices...
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]