Newbie Question: Which CD-Rs do you use? Is There a difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Jewell, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Ed Jewell

Ed Jewell Agent

OK time for a stupid newbie question? Now that I have mastered scanning and printing with my new Dell Dimension 8200 series, I am now ready to start recording CD's.
    What manufacturers CD-Rs do you use when you record your music CDs? Are you loyal to one particular manufacturer or just buy the cheapest that you can find? Is one manufacturer (Maxell, etc.) known for making a better quality CD-Rs than the others or are they all about the same?
    Thanks,
    Ed [​IMG]

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I use "Verbatim Data Life Plus Premium." They hold up better than other brands. I have had to toss old CD-R discs out due to data loss. I get them at Best Buy when they go on sale for $14.99/30pk. I also like the Sony CD-R's in the spindle packs for random recording.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The best quality ones are FujiFilm onse, which are Taiyo Yuden Blanks, best in the world... great quality... though usually a bit more expensive than just the normal stuff, its MUCH better.

go to bestbuy.com and follow instructions below

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I do alot of trading of live shows on the 'net and Fuji, TDK, Sony, Mitsui, and Taiyo Yuden are the preferred brands (I go through a 50 spindle per week.) I would stay away from generics and "M" brands: Memorex, Maxell. Lately I've been using Fuji and TDK 80m blanks and haven't had a problem.

If you live in Southeastern PA, you can pick up a spindle of 50 TDK's for $9.99 at Genuardi's supermarkets, in the season section.

5. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Personally I use whatever the hells on sale! I never have any problems. I get about 1 coaster in 50, if that. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it satisfies my needs. Of course I mostly just burn music cd's.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've been happy with Fuji, Yamaha (although these were expensive) and my latest spindle was from iMation (who I'm also happy with). I don't get the special "Black" CD-Rs that iMation makes... there is no place to write on the disc! I suppose you'd need a silver marker or something inorder to label it. Ah well.

As far as CD-RWs go, I've been happy with Sony. My Dad bought some no-name CD-RWs, and they're constantly failing (can't be read on any drive).

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I also do a lot of trading of live shows on the Net and I swear by Memorex 80 minute CDR's. They hold up very well over time. The ones by Maxell suck.

8. Ed Jewell

Ed Jewell Agent

[​IMG] Thanks for all the input guys. I drove out to our local Best Buy and Picked up a 30 pack of Sonys with the jewel cases. So far so good.
    Again thanks for the input. [​IMG]

9. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Ed,
    I'll second what Greg Yurkovic said: anything made by Taiyo Yuden is a quality disc. In general, look at the packaging to see where a disc was made: if it says made in Japan chances are it's a TY disc of hgh quality.
    One other thing to note is that the "quality" of a disc has more to do with it's longevity than it does sound quality. IMHO, all discs sound the same on day 1. A quality disc is the one that's around in 10 years. Which one will that be? I'm trusting my collection of live music to mostly TY discs, with a few hundred Kodak Golds thrown in for good measure.
    -Brett.