Newbie question: What's worse? L/R wall speaker not far enough from TV or too close to walls?

Plokij

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Hi everyone, I have a hypothetical that's turning into a conundrum and would like to ask for a more experienced person's opinion.
Below I have illustrated the predicament where I'd like to install L/R speakers for surround sound on the left wall. Unfortunately, it's a very short wall due to the window. I've drawn the most relevant dimensions, but my real problem is the left speaker which which we've opted to use wall speakers.
As shown, the distance from the left edge of the TV to the bottom wall is 4' = 48". If I have even 16" stud spacing, I'd place the speaker between the studs at 16" and 32".
My question is, should I install the wall speaker exactly centered at 24" or would it be advantageous to move a little towards the TV or wall? The closest I could get to the wall side with a 8" wide speaker is where the speaker center is at 20" and the farthest away from the wall where speaker center is at 28, which puts it only 20" away from the TV. Whatever I choose, right speaker will mirror on the other side.

So in summary, the left speaker can be moved between the first and second studs (16" and 32" ) where:
1) Speaker center is as close to the wall as possible (left wall to center of L speaker = 20", center of L speaker to left edge of TV = 28")
2) Speaker center is as close to TV as possible (left wall to center of L speaker = 28", center of L speaker to left edge of TV = 20")
3) Speaker is centered between studs ((left wall to center of L speaker = 24", center of L speaker to left edge of TV = 24")
Is there a side I should sacrifice or should I place in the center of the studs?
Thanks in advance!

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sorry for the delay in responding, but the seating location is a factor. Not knowing that I would recommend that you place the speaker closer to the TV to minimize reflections off the side wall. Depending on your seating location you may want to use in ceiling home theater speakers, the window won't dictate where they are placed.

Plokij

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Adam.
I have attached an image of some proposed speaker placements. In the living room, I've assumed the tv centered on wall excluding the window, but I could see how I could center the TV on the wall (including the window) and use ceiling speakers instead.
In the event that I install the in wall speakers as shown, could you explain what's the worst that can happened and if there is any recourse? e.g. Would it sound really strange and would there be any way to tune it?
As an aside, do you have any recommendations for ceiling speakers or know of any gotchas?

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Plokij /t/322239/newbie-question-whats-worse-l-r-wall-speaker-not-far-enough-from-tv-or-too-close-to-walls#post_3952312
Thanks, Adam.
I have attached an image of some proposed speaker placements. In the living room, I've assumed the tv centered on wall excluding the window, but I could see how I could center the TV on the wall (including the window) and use ceiling speakers instead.
In the event that I install the in wall speakers as shown, could you explain what's the worst that can happened and if there is any recourse? e.g. Would it sound really strange and would there be any way to tune it?
As an aside, do you have any recommendations for ceiling speakers or know of any gotchas?
You could try some wall treatments if you don't like the sound. I think centering the TV would open up the room a bit as the couch could go all the way against the interior wall (or much closer to it). Speakers regardless of free standing, in-wall or in-ceiling really vary in price so it depends on your budget. There are some people who hate the idea of in-ceiling speakers. I have had good experiences with them. Personally I have used the Triad Bronze 8 inceiling speakers (and sub) for a 7.1 system in the bedroom and I think they sound great: http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html

You could also get a speaker like an Atlantic Technology FS-5000 that will wall mount just below your TV set. I have one and it sounds pretty good. You could use their in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds. http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=116

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendrena