What's new

Newbie Question...What is the best projector for 3000? (1 Viewer)

Ron_C

Agent
I would have 3000.00 USD to spend on a projector. Mainly for DVD's. I am pretty new to this area and would like you expert opinions. I have been to www.projectorcentral.com and have looked around. Thanks

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
With a projector, there can be a few hidden costs. A few are:
Screen : $150-400
Cabling : $30-100
Ceiling mounts/table : $50-200
An easy to set up solution is the NEC LT150; it is very small (3 lbs and about the size of a notebook), and very easy to set up. If you want and can bear a larger and more complex solution, an older CRT projector will give you a great picture for less money. The downside to CRTs are their size and weight (ususally around 130 lbs) and the fact that they ususally need convertor cards or an HTPC to properly display NTSC video with good quality.
I've got an LT150 and absolutely love it. Check out http://www.lastrange.com/ht/lt150.shtml for more info on it; also check AVS forum for a lot of good info on front projection.
An NEC LT150 will run you around $2400 shipped; a CRT projector can vary widely due to wear on the tubes, video quality, etc.

Ron_C

Agent
Is that price used or new? I know about the extra costs and that isn't a problem. I have heard about that LT150 and was wondering how good the picture is. Would it be as good as a RPTV? As you can tell i am new to this area and have a lot of research to do. Thanks

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
That price is new; they are now discontinued, so you may have to try a couple of dealers to find them in stock. The good thing is that since they were meant for presentation, many computer outlets stocked them.
Let me begin by saying that fans of either RPTV or FPTV will defend their choice and model vehemently; thats just the way it goes. No one wants to think they misspent their $3K.
That being said, the picture from my LT150 from a HTPC absolutely beats any RPTV I have seen, including Pioneer Elites, Toshibas, and Mitsubishis. The real selling point to me was also the ease of installation. A 65" RPTV averages around 300 lbs, and its dimensions make it difficult to manuever around inside a house.
You don't have your area listed, but try to find a high end HT shop in your area or another HTFer that has FPTV. Once you see it, it is tough to go back.

Ron_C

Agent
Ok, that is a good price for new. I am in the Central Iowa region, so i would have to look around for one. Are there any e-stores that sell them? Or do you have to buy from an authorized dealer to get the NEC Warranty?

Also, don't mean to be stupid here, but what does HTPC stand for? What is it and would i need one? Once again, a newbie question. Also, how far from the screen do you have the LT150 and how big a screen does it produce? How does it do in 16:9 presentation? THanks a bunch.

Danny B

Grip
I would see one in action first,due to it being a DLP projector they tend to have rainbows and you might not like it,so beware.

LCD's dont have rainbows but have less fill factors then DLP(you can see a screen door affect if too close to a screen).

HTPC is Home Theater Personal Computer,using it as a dvd player,scaler,progressive output...But if your happy with the picture as it is from a dvd player(external) you dont have to use a HTPC.

You should go and have a look at a few setups.

A crt projector gives you the best picture quality but people dont buy them cause they are too big for there room and dont like setting them up(the ones that dont know how) and its limited in the screen size.

Ron_C

Agent
So if i wanted to go for the all around best image, what should i go with, DLP or LCD? I would like the crispest picture i could with the best picture quality for the money. How bad is the rainbow effect in the DLP?

----LCD's dont have rainbows but have less fill factors then DLP(you can see a screen door affect if too close to a screen). ----

What exactly are fill factors and the screen door affect?

Thanks again!!! This board is great!!

Oh by the way, I think CRT's are out of the question.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
So if i wanted to go for the all around best image, what should i go with, DLP or LCD?
If a CRT is out of the question (Best picture you can get at the moment)... I would go with a DLP BUT only if the "rainbow" effect doesn't bother you or anyone in your family. If it does then go LCD.

Ron_C

Agent
I guess i shouldn't say CRT's are out of the question, but i just don't know much about them, i will have to research them. Any good brands/models to look for? Thanks again.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Hey Ron, if CRTs are not out of the question I would look into one.
You can get a lot of your questions answered (on either CRT or DLP/LCD/DILA) by going to www.avscience.com
I bought an Ampro 2000D 7" CRT projector at a university surplus sale for $30 and it looks better than any RPTV I've ever seen, and throws a larger image. Very much worth looking into!
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks