Newbie question: Toshiba or Sony 57" 16X9 TV??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Chan, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Andrew Chan

Andrew Chan Auditioning

I have bought a Panasonic RP56 DVD player to be used as source for a 16X9 TV. My viewing distance in my dedicated home theater room is about 13 feet. I think a 57" 16X9 will be the ideal size.

I based my decision of the DVD player based on the Secrets of Home Theater review but they have a reservation about this player:

The RP56 has no aspect ratio control at all for scaling non-anamorphic DVDs, and doesn't have an interlaced/progressive switch on the remote (it's on the front panel). If you have a TV that locks into Full mode with 480p signals, this may not be the player for you.

I have no idea what that means, does that affect my decision of which TV to buy? Should I purchase a Sony 57Hw40 or a Toshiba 57HX81 based on other reasons??? I have been reading the forums and it seems that going to a store to look at the TV is pointless since it need to be ISF'ed before the picture looks good. I live in Canada and Mitsubishi seems to be not too popular;thus, pricing will not be as good as the previous two.

Thankx for the help in advance..

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Both the the sony and tosh sets do not lock in full the full mode when receiving a progressive signal..So either one would be find with your rp56 which has no aspect control..For that matter, just about all the RPHD sets manufactured today do not lock in full when receiving a 480p progressive signal..