newbie question: subwoofer placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Tesori, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Keith Tesori

Keith Tesori Auditioning

I wanted to know where would be the best place to put a subwoofer in my setup. I have a Sony 51 inch widescreen tv that is in a corner of my living room with my main floor speakers on each side of the tv. A friend at work recommended putting behind the tv but I'm not sure if that would affect the tv or not. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
    Here is a general layout of my living room
    Code:
    |-------------|
    |tv          
    |           c |
    |           o |
    |           u |
    |           c |
    |  couch    h |
    |
    |-------------|

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

putting the sub in a corner increases the bass. many times a little too much. one sub setup idea i've heard is to set the sub wherever, then get on your hands and knees and crawl around the room until the bass sounds really clean and and not too boomy (or however you like it), then place the subwoofer in that area where your crawlin.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

To use Jason's idea, its better to put the sub near the prime listening position, then find the spot where it sounds best. If the sub is ugly, in the corner behind the TV will probably be good.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

High Keith. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    You get a lot of the subwoofer sound reflected from the nearby walls. Putting the sub in the corner tends to give you the longest wall-length to reflect from.
    While "corner loading" is great for movies, it's a little ... enhanced for music. A music system might place the sub 1/3 or 2/5's along the longest wall to avoid the over-emphasized reflections.
    No, putting the sub behind the TV should not cause any harm.
    But you do know that pulling the TV out of the corner and along that wall opposite the couch would give you better positioning for the speakers? Either of those 2 walls would do.