Newbie question; Sony or ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete P, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Pete P

Pete P Auditioning

I'm new to this and pretty clueless so any opinions would be most appreciated. I apologize for the long post to follow.
    My wife and I saw (briefly) a friend's new 36" Sony (KV36FV16) and was very impressed with it (especially the flat screen). I'm lusting after a large screen TV (with 36" being the upper limit of what my room will handle) and have been investigating the Sony WEGA line.
    My situation is that I plan to get a DVD shortly but am primarily watching a pretty good (by its standards) analog cable feed. My son is a baseball nut and my wife is a college basketball junkie so TV performance with sporting events is a very high priority.
    In investigating the WEGA's, the two models that I've been looking at is the KV36FV27 and KVXBR450. I'm leaning toward the 36FV27; with the price difference I could buy a good DVD player (and then some), and get a 16:9 set in a few years. I've been really concerned in reading various forums regarding the performance of these sets with sporting events (esp. regarding the DRC with the 450 producing digital artifacts and the (lack of) brightness with the FV27. The Circuit City that has these sets are using an antenna feed (!?) so I can't really judge them.
    Could any of the owners of the above Sonys give me any insights regarding performance in the areas I'm concerned with? What other brands should I be considering? Would bringing a VCR tape with a sporting event be an accurate way for me to judge the performance of these sets regarding "garbage in, (what degree of) garbage out"?
    Again, sorry about the long post. Thanks for any input.

2. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

I own the XBR450 and can say that Sony really got it right this time. The 3:2 "Cinemotion" DRC really does a nice job. In fact, it's so good that I (and others who have posted) even turned off progressive mode on my DVD to let the TV do it's own DRC. The picture is actually better. I can't comment on the other model you mentioned though.

3. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

One other thing - turning off porgressive mode allows the XBR to auto-detect the 16:9 mode. In progressive input mode, you have ot do it manually.