What's new

"NEWBIE" Question ---> Please Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Shawn_T

Agent
Dear All,
I just recorded (or captured should I say) my very first movie (Sony DCR-TRV17 NTSC) on my VAIO PC (using Premiere 6.02) and although I am happy with the results, I would like to know:
1 - What Video settings should I use? (QuickTime, Windows Media Player)?
2 - How can I compress it, so a 2 hours DV cassette worth of movie, would fit on a 700MB CD-R? (I don't have a DVD Burner:frowning:, yet;))
3 - I would like to burn this movie, what is the best software? (Nero or Easy CD Creator Platinum 5?)
Thanks in advance!

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Shawn,
The easiest way to use the best settings is to choose from the presets that show up when Premiere loads. In the "DV-NTSC" folder, use the "Standard 48kHz" presets. This will set you up for a high-quality workflow.
Once your new project is opened, look under the "Project" menu, and choose "settings viewer". This is the easiest way to make sure that your capture, project, and export settings all match up, which is how you maintain high quality.
For burning to CD, you need to convert the .AVI file to MPEG if you want to watch it on your set-top DVD player. Export your project using the preset settings, then use an external MPEG compressor such as TMPGenc. It's free and works well. There are presets in TMPGenc for making a VideoCD, or a SuperVideoCD (SVCD), if your DVD player is compatible.
VCDhelp.com has tons of great info to help with VCD and SVCD authoring.
Once your MPG video file is created, either EasyCD or Nero will work for burning the VCD or SVCD.
Hope this helps,

Thomas_Jones

Auditioning
One tip that I've used when burning vcd's: When you compress your video file, use the least amount of compression possible to fir on your CD. For example, if you're using a 700 MB CD-R, then set the compression scheme to as little as possible. This may take some trial and error to get an m-peg file to the size you want. But it's worth it because if you compress it too much, it could look like crap. Good luck.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Export your project using the preset settings, then use an external MPEG compressor such as TMPGenc. It's free and works well.
is tmpegenc really free? i thought i read somewhere about having to register. i could be wrong. kris is right about it working well, its a good little encoder, pretty powerful. if you want chapters in your vcd, you have to go with vcdeasy (www.vcdeasy.org), its the only one that supports chapters, as far as i know. and its free. also, i cannot recommend the kvcd templates for tmpegenc highly enough. (www.kvcd.net) they are far more space efficient than the standard tmpegenc templates, and they look so much better. with a little tweaking, you can fit a 2 hour movie on two 700 mb cds, and have it be near dvd quality in appearance. up close you can see differences, but from a few feet, its nearly indistinguishable. best of luck.
CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks