What's new

Newbie question on speakers (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am just starting to get the hang about speakers but still have more questions. I know that the lower frequency in a speakers specs have to do with the bass response that the speaker can achieve, but what does bipole and dipole mean?

Dean_S

Second Unit
Here's my understanding of these terms:
Bipole is a speaker that has drivers on two faces of the cabinet. These are typically used as surrounds for pro-logic (matrixed) but many use them for DD and DTS (discrete). I prefer monopoles for discrete surround. Some bipoles are for mains, like the def techs with a rear firing tweeter (I hate speakers like this b/c I think they are not natural sounding and screw up the soundstage by producing a false effect.
Dipole is a speaker with no "box" just a front baffle and open rear. It's not the same thing as an infinite baffle from a speaker designers point of view, but to the casual observer these would look like an infinite baffle speaker.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
A triangular shaped speaker "usually" denotes a quad/pole speaker. If you look closly there, usually, will be speakers firing off in angled directions (around 30/45 degrees) and two speakers firing up and down. So you have four speakers.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I'll add. Bipolar speakers are common and many are the trianglular shape you asked about. I can only think of one Dipole speaker off the top of my head that I'm sure is currently in production (Gilmore Audio) and only know of two brands total (I'm sure there are many more but you just don't find them too often).

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently thinking of Infinity speakers and their surrounds are the triangular shaped, I am not sure if they are bipole or dipole, but from what I understand they will give the best surround because of the triangular shape.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This is not necessarily true. For movies I think people on this forum are about 50/50 for bipole/dipole or direct radiating ("normal"). If you want to do multi-channel music (SACD or DVD-A) then most prefer direct radiating. One does not necessarily sound better, but does produce a different effect for the listener.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Seth, the surrounds that I intend to get have a switch that will let me switch between bipole, dipole and monopole, so I will test all 3 and see which sounds best.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I "believe" that the speaker enclosures for direct radiating speakers usually are constructed very differently than bipole speakers. So simply having a switch might not be a true test of how one sounds over another. But I may be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks