Newbie question on RCA plug wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Gutierrez, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Ted Gutierrez

Ted Gutierrez Auditioning

Ok, a lot of you are probably going to laugh at this super-easy question, but here goes =)

This week, I purchased some Level 1 speakers (5.1) from HTD. I wanted to hook them up to my Toshiba 43HX70 RPTV to see how they sound. (my Onkyo receiver doesn't arrive until Monday)

Here's the problem:

I can't figure out how to use the supplied 18 gauge speaker cable (which I bought from HTD) to connect the speakers to the back of my tv.

I just want to connect 2 of the front-channel speakers to my TV and hear how they sound.

Note: The speakers have 5-way binding posts on back, one + and one -. The back of my TV has female RCA connectors for the audio out. I was planning on stripping the speaker end of the cables and inserting them into the 5-way binding post, instead of going with banana plugs (for now..I just want to test before I get nice cables).

Well, I picked up some solderless RCA connectors from Radio Shack, thinking I could roll my own cables, but I'm confused on the RCA pinout compared to the +/- on my speakers.

Can anyone walk me through this? ie I believe the inner wire on the RCA connector is the signal, and the outer shield is ground, but how in the heck does this translate into +/- at the speaker end??

Do I need to purchase some special kind of cable, instead of the supplied 18 gauge wire?

Thanks a lot for any input!!!!!

And Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

-Ted

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Ted,

What your attempting most likely will not work and if it

did it *could* damage your TV. I do not know what the specs

are on your TV but the "Audio Out" is just to pass a signal

to a Receiver which then amplifies the signal and then sends

the signal to the speakers. The output of the RCA Audio Out

on your TV is probably very low voltage and would not power

the speakers much if any at all, and could very well damage

something inside the TV..

3. Ted Gutierrez

Ted Gutierrez Auditioning

Brett,

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I should have followed my instinct and posted here before attempting this rookie manuever. Phew, luckily I don't think I damaged anything.

I'll wait until my receiver arrives and go from there.

Thanks again,

-Ted