Newbie question on ohms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andy_brehm, Oct 26, 2001.

1. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

I have never really understood the whole ohms thing, @8ohms, @4ohms, etc... could someone explain this to me? And for reference, what should mine be set at, or what do you take into consideration when selecting your ohoms?
    Thanks

2. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

This a straight copy and paste from www.audioreview.com ...
    Ohm
    Ideas underlying the development of electricity first theorized by George Simon Ohm in 1827. A measurement of the strain, in terms of efficiency, imposed on an amplifier in order for it to drive a set of speakers. The lower the Ohm rating the more strain or efficiency an amplifier can handle. Ohms reemerged topically due partially to the trend of separate subwoofers and small, powerful bookshelf speakers. These speakers were designed for an inherently inefficient process, driving large sound out of a tiny speaker box. Many audio products now require a 6 or 4 Ohm rated amplifier to drive tiny speakers. A speaker rated at 8 ohms can easily fluctuate between 4 and 16 Ohms, or throughout the frequency spectrum. Make sure your receiver has an Ohm rating that covers your speakers.
    Someone else will surely be able to jump in sooner or later and put that even better...hope that helps though.
    Mike

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer