Newbie question on HDTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BradVan, Oct 7, 2003.

1. BradVan

BradVan Auditioning

Hi, I was intrested in getting a widescreen TV (55"), and went out looking at them at various stores (ABC Warehouse, Sears etc.) When flipping through the channels, the stations that were not being broadcast via HD were a bit fuzzy and not very good. This happened at ABC & Sears. Both sales people said that all channels that are not HD will look this way. Is this true? I can't see laying out 3 grand for a TV that looks worse then my 10 year old Magnovox. Currently I have Directv, not HD directv. I just wanted to get the HD compatable TV now, then upgrade to the new HD dish later. Anyway, can someone help me out please!

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Standard definition channels will look good to very good but nothing like 480p DVD or 1080i HD. It depends on how good your cable comapnay is or if you are going to use DirectTV or DishNet. In most stores their cable is split so many times the standard channels look horrendous, also, many HDTV's are not properly set-up in stores. DirectTV, DishNet is better than standard cable anyway.

3. BradVan

BradVan Auditioning

So you are saying that the picture will look at least as good, if not better then what I am using now?

4. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    How big is your current TV? SD images tend to look better on smaller sets than on larger ones simply due to the fact that problems are magnified on a larger screen.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Brad, the old computer adage: garbage in, garbage out. Do not judge an HD-capable set by how it looks in a "big-box" chain store run by teenagers and fed a standard cable signal that has been split upwards of a hundred times. JB

6. BradVan

BradVan Auditioning

Gregg, I have a 32" TV now. I am not all that knowledable about what all the specs mean etc. So I just don't want to get a TV, bring it home, and not know enough to have the picture look good. What I saw in the stores made my wife turn around and leave. Not a good sign when trying to convince her to upgrade. I did go to a small business in town and they had a Sony wide screen that looked real good. It was broadcasting the local cable, not HD. So this is why I am confused. The ones at the other stores on Satellite looked awful.