What's new

Newbie question on active-powered speakers (1 Viewer)

Arvin_C

Agent
Hello everyone.

Okay...thinking that I am not going to go with Magnepans (Probably can't place them properly in my basement), so now looking at NHTs or Definitive Technology.

Considering the DefTech and their powered series of speakers, what would I use to run my signals to them? I mean, could I just get by with just having a processor now and no amp, since all my speaker will have their own amplification on-board?

Thanks for the help!

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I am not familiar with the most current DTs but usually the on-board amplification is for the subwoofers only. You still need amps:frowning:
-rob

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
You can try looking for a pair of Active 40's from Paradigm, but these are pretty hard tocmoe by. Excellent speakers, though

Arvin_C

Agent
Ooopps...you are right, Rob...amplification for only the sub section. Damn...the review I read sure did make it sound like the whole freakin' speaker was amped! :crazy:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The first pair of powered speaker I saw (and drolled over) was the Powered Partners from Acoustic Research (AR). It was later rebadged as Advent when Recoton purchased Jensen International, parent company to AR, Advent, and NHT. I have read Def Tech powered speakers are very impressive, especially those $500.00/pair powered bookshelf speakers.

Edit -- I was thinking the whole speaker was amped too.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I currently am running a full 7.1 speaker setup, all Def Tech. I must admit the power sub in all the channels is very sweet for HT use. I have a pair of BP2000tl towers for fronts, and the are just awsome for 2 channel music. I can recommend them highly enough. The only drawback is needing a outlet within close proximity to all your channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks