What's new

Newbie Question - Is DIY "Really" Worth It? (1 Viewer)

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Hi to all:
Have been reading this forum with interest, as I like DIY projects. Am thinking about starting a DIY speaker project to start replacing my beginner HT set-up. However, I have a general question for which I hope to get some balanced answers.
Looking at the price for the Adire 281 Kit, which is $369 without cabinets. I am guessing well-made cabinets can add $100 - 200 to this, bringing total up to $500 or so. I have listened to tower speakers (e.g., JBL) in this price range that sound awefully d%*^ good.
Hence, where does the "value" come in? I keep hearing that DIY offers better value than buying from a manufacturer. Other than the satisfaction of knowing you built your own speakers, where is the value? Is it that a $500+ DIY kit sound as good as a $1,000 speaker? I have never listened to speakers this expensive so I woudn't know.
Please note that I am not trying to question anyone's decision to do DIY...I am just trying to understand the benefits it would provide to me to invest such a substantial amount of money yet still have to build the speaker myself (vs. just buy it from a store).
Thanks for all your help.

A

Anthony_Gomez

To answer your question. YES.
Once you go DIY, you never go back :)
...that is, when you do it right!
It is like an adrenalin junkie going skydiving for the first time. No matter how much you are told about it, nothing is like experiencing it first hand. ..and like DIY, jumping out at too migh of an elevation w/o O2, jumping out too low to the ground, packing too "small" of a shoot, or just plain packing it wrong, will all result in a dismal experience....at least to some degree :D

Darren_T

Second Unit
Definately worth it. I built 5 speakers for my home theater for less than it would have cost me for a pair of B&W 604's. I also built a sub which can't be touched commercially for less than two grand. total into speakers: right around 1500 bucks for 5 identical MTM home theater speakers and a 15" sub. Most folks would have blown that budget on a pair of mains or the sub alone.

Darren

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Is the Pope Catholic? :) Even if you don't save a dime, which BTW is rare unless you're trying to duplicate a cheap consumer design, you can build speakers to suit Your needs/personal sonic preference rather than accepting someone else's marketing compromise.
GM

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Which JBL speakers for $500 sounded awfully good? A $350 DIY kit would redefine "awful" for you. :) I own the Kit281s, by the way, so e-mail me if you have any questions about them.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
You get more for your dollar generally with anything DIY. Speakers are no exception. I was impressed with a simple beginner design with a crude crossover... and when someone asks you where you got them, the satisfaction of saying "oh, those? I built those" is worth all the blood, sweat, and tears you put into them.
I'll never buy retail speakers again... unless they were free... and even then, I'd probably use them in my garage. :)
Is it that a $500+ DIY kit sound as good as a $1,000 speaker? I have never listened to speakers this expensive so I woudn't know.
Have you ever heard Bose? Then you've heard speakers that expensive. :) And to answer your question, yes, I would wager that a $500 DIY kit would out perform a $1000 speaker.
Once you shop around for speaker components, you realize what a huge mark-up is on retail speakers. Go to your favorite audio store and take the grill off of some of them and take note of the drivers. Then go to www.partsexpress.com and see what those treated paper foam surround drivers can be had for. Then figure the manufacturer is getting them at an OEM price below what you'd buy 'em for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks