What's new

Newbie question: How to calibrate with SPL? (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
sorry for the "newbieness" of this question, but in light of hearing the analog SPLs were fading, i went to a local RS and invested in one.
i cannot really do much about the placing of my speakers or the SVS now (seeing as the wires and speakers are nailed in and i will have to cover the holes with toothpaste
wink.gif
). i live in a dorm. but for next year in either the frat house or apartment, i'd like someone to tell me how to calibrate my system please! i do not own AVIA or other calibration DVDs (soon to own...), but if someone would please explain how to calibrate assuming i have one of these it'd be great. i'll save this post in archives for next year...
thanks in advance to all!
-thomas
patriot.gif

------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Go to your system menu in the receiver.
Pull up the channel level test tones.
Turn your SPL meter to 70db....C weighting. Play the test tones through each speaker and adjust so that each speaker is at 75db on the SPL meter. Adjust the level on the sub to 3-5db over the rest (78-80db). This should do the trick. Some like more or less bass...that's up to you.
When you get a calibration disc (Avia or VE) do the same with their test tones.
Make sure your receiver is set at reference volume for all of the above (Usually: 00)
Jeremy

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I'd like to piggy-back a question on here. How do you calibrate two subs? I used a Y-cable so each sub has its own connection to the receiver. First I turned on my "main" sub and left the "support" sub off. I calibrated it to 81db. Then I turned off the "main" sub and turned the "support" sub on. I calibrated it to 75db. Then, with both of them on I made sure they were in phase with each other. Finally, I turned the receiver's sub output so that together the subs produced 81db. Is that a resonable way to go about it?
OMQ, let's say my "main" sub is 8ft away and my "support" sub is 5ft away. What should I enter into my receiver as distance from listening position?
Pieter
------------------
Witness my BoomRoom. Updated Sep 17.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
thanks Jeremy. here's another question: how does speaker position weigh into all of this? and i sit at the normal listening position and set each of the receiver's channels to be at +/- whatever levels i find, correct?
thanks again!
patriot.gif

------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Jerry C

Grip
Check the link below for more good info about calibration using an SPL meter.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks