Newbie Question...here

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by stevenJuarez, Oct 19, 2004.

1. stevenJuarez

stevenJuarez Auditioning

I have been reading this forum and really enjoy all the great ideas I have seen. Here is my question. I am building my HT room in the next few weeks and I want to know if anyone uses their projector as a everyday viewing set, for regular tv shows.

I want to place a rear projection tv on a 8 inch riser stage and then in the ceiling mount a electronic drop screen for movie time or special event time, that will drop down in front of the tv. If I did this are the screens strong enough to drop down and not move. I will be running two AC ducts into the room and mount a large ceiling fan. The room is 17x23. Will I have to mount a cable or a strap to keep the bottom of the screen from moving due to air circulation?

The reason for this post is about the cost, if I can save money and do not need a regular tv set of any kind and can just use my projector is that cost effective. I know some projectors have a limited amount of hours on the lights. Well I look forward to any feedback I get. I will be posting photos of this process when the time comes.

Steven in So-Cal...

2. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

Steven, I use my projector (Sanyo Z-2) for some HDTV viewing, but not for the majority of my TV viewing. You gave one reason-- bulb life preservation. The other reason for me is that regular TV looks really grainy when it's blown up that big. It's watchable, but I'd rather not waste the bulb life on a so-so picture. HD looks great, though.

You might consider getting a smaller TV for regular viewing. I'd imagine you could get a decent sized TV in the $400 to $500 range (equates to about 1.5 projector bulbs).

3. stevenJuarez

stevenJuarez Auditioning

Hey Thanks Jon ...I think I am going to use my Sony 46 inch rear projection for regular day use and then come movie time and special event time ( superbowl, academy awards, nascar racing and of course movies) I will drop down the screen and put on the front projector....

Thanks for your input.

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I do! We use our HS20 for all TV/Movie/Sports viewing.