Newbie Question. DD or DTS????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_A, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Ryan_A

Ryan_A Auditioning

I've seen lots of references to preferences of the DD version of a movie or the preferences of a DTS version.

Are not these formats supposed to accomplish the same surround affects, but done by separate formats?

I guess where I'm leading is will this become the VHS vs. Beta debate of this generation?

Which is the Betamax and which is the VHS?

I'm sure there are some technical differences that distiguish the two, but all in all, is can one truly discern the differences? If you can tell the differences... is one preferred for one type of content... say live concerts and the other more preferred for Action movies???

Just lookin to learn. Let me hear your views.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Welcome to HTF. I suggest you look in the Hardware forum, where there are already numerous threads on this topic with a variety of views expressed. Examples include these threads:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=dd+dts
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=dd+dts
    The situation isn't comparable to VHS vs. beta, since there is no competition for what format will become the standard on DVD. The standard was set before the first DVD was released, and it's Dolby Digital. Whatever one thinks of the merits of DTS, it remains an alternative format.
    M.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There is room for both. Most people agree that in most cases, the dts soundtrack sounds better but it depends on the source used. In some cases the DD sounds better and in many cases, they sound the same.

4. Ryan_A

Ryan_A Auditioning

Thanks.

I actually read the first thread you linked.

The second thread was more in line with my query.

One thing is for sure. As a newbie HT'er (though I've been semi-reading the board for 2 years), I really need to put the search function of the forums to more use.

I regret starting yet another thread on a subject that has been hashed over so many times.

Thanks for the links though.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Whether DD or DTS is better depends upon what kind and gauge of speaker wire you are using.
    [​IMG]

7. Ryan_A

Ryan_A Auditioning

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Sorry, just a little joke. These are the TWO topics that individually cause lots of arguements around here.

9. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Both preform the same surround effect but which one you like is all a matter of preference. I prefer DTS in most cases because the sound IMHO seems louder and fuller.