What's new

Newbie Question. DD or DTS???? (1 Viewer)

Ryan_A

Auditioning
I've seen lots of references to preferences of the DD version of a movie or the preferences of a DTS version.

Are not these formats supposed to accomplish the same surround affects, but done by separate formats?

I guess where I'm leading is will this become the VHS vs. Beta debate of this generation?

Which is the Betamax and which is the VHS?

I'm sure there are some technical differences that distiguish the two, but all in all, is can one truly discern the differences? If you can tell the differences... is one preferred for one type of content... say live concerts and the other more preferred for Action movies???

Just lookin to learn. Let me hear your views.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Welcome to HTF. I suggest you look in the Hardware forum, where there are already numerous threads on this topic with a variety of views expressed. Examples include these threads:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=dd+dts
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=dd+dts
The situation isn't comparable to VHS vs. beta, since there is no competition for what format will become the standard on DVD. The standard was set before the first DVD was released, and it's Dolby Digital. Whatever one thinks of the merits of DTS, it remains an alternative format.
M.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There is room for both. Most people agree that in most cases, the dts soundtrack sounds better but it depends on the source used. In some cases the DD sounds better and in many cases, they sound the same.

Ryan_A

Auditioning
Thanks.

I actually read the first thread you linked.

The second thread was more in line with my query.

One thing is for sure. As a newbie HT'er (though I've been semi-reading the board for 2 years), I really need to put the search function of the forums to more use.

I regret starting yet another thread on a subject that has been hashed over so many times.

Thanks for the links though.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Whether DD or DTS is better depends upon what kind and gauge of speaker wire you are using.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Ryan_A

Auditioning
Whether DD or DTS is better depends upon what kind and gauge of speaker wire you are using.
You are kidding right?

I read this and said... "oh... sarcasm."

Please tell me this is true... that your post was sarcastic in nature.

If not... I'm a newbie in great need of learning.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Both preform the same surround effect but which one you like is all a matter of preference. I prefer DTS in most cases because the sound IMHO seems louder and fuller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks