Newbie Question - Cube Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Codey J, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Codey J

Codey J Auditioning

Hello All,

Newbie here. I've been searching and reading for hours and I'm sure someone here has answered this question, but there are so many opinions about the different speakers out in the market today. One thing is for sure...most here don’t like Bose. I was actually thinking about getting a set.

Anywho, I just bought a new house and choose the in-ceiling 6.1 pre-wire package. I want small cube like speakers that will mount onto the ceiling (not in). The room is about 15' wide by 15' deep to the back of the couch. The kitchen is behind so there is like another 12' behind the couch. I have an older set (6 yrs) of Polk Audio RM7300 that I somewhat like, but it only a 5.1 and I'm going to use them on the Mast Bed. I pretty sure big floor tower speakers will sound the best, but it not what I'm looking for. So many brand the choose from...Paradigm, Boston, JBL, ect, ect. I'm only want to spend around $1000, but willing to spend less [​IMG]...or more if needed.

Question, why hate the Bose so much. Is it because they are paper? Are the newer Lifestyles made the same as the Acoustimass? The Lifestyle sure sounded allot better....but what the hell do I know, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

Oh yea...need a sub too!

Thanks

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Bose is simply too expensive for what you get. You ever see the frequency response on a Bose system? Neither has anyone else! They don't publish them like EVERY other speaker manufacturer does. BUT, if your #1 priority is looks/decor and you don't mind the sound, then by all means, feel free to purchase the Bose. The key is simply that you be happy with your purchase.

I'm not very familiar with all the satellite systems out there, so I'll let someone else make the recommendations. I usually recommend Hsu Ventriliquist in this situation, but I don't think it would work well in your case because all the speakers have to be wired through the center channel which could be difficult with your pre-wiring.

3. Codey J

Codey J Auditioning

Looks are not my #1 priority...sound it, but to what I'm looking for. I don't want big bulky speaker hanging from the ceiling. I want what would be best for my needs...or should I say wants. I want the best possible sound out of small cube/satellite speakers. I know that the cubes/sats will not sound as good as the many other bookshelf/floor speakers. Trust me, if you say Bose suck, and there are much better small speakers out there...I'm willing to go out and listen to them. I don't want crappy speakers that have a "name" stamped on them...I want to good sounding speaker...in a small package. What ever name it is. I'm willing to pay $$ on a good sub if that will help out with the small speakers.

Thanks

4. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Try checking out Orb Audio. I havent heard them but they seem to be very well regarded around here, and they're small and nifty looking.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Check out the Mirage Omnisats, Paradigm Cinema series, and Rocket Tykes.

Look at SVS and Hsu for sub options. Both with absolutely destroy the performance of the Bose "bass module." Each company has subs starting around $400.

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Athnea Micras come with built in mounts.

Brent

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  8. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

9. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

I second the mirages. As for bose, I am a former owner. They sounded good on some surround material but to tell you the truth most the time they sucked. For music, I bought a cheap floor standing celestion speaker that were 100 dollars less than the book shelf bose. I started trying to listen to every Cd and every album I could fine. very good detail.The bose couldn hold a candle. They were stolen from me but that was the best thing that happen to me. When the theft gets out of jail I will thank him. But it is your system. Let your ears be your judge.

10. Raymond lee Leggs

Raymond lee Leggs Stunt Coordinator

Raymond Lee Leggs
    I dislike most cube speakers.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I guess it's too late, but if you can move the speakers' mounting locations at least midway down the wall - especially the front three speakers - that will help create a true cinema listening experience. Because I think sound coming from above will mostly just end up sounding like a P.A. system & IMO little if any surround sound effect will be created.

I agree. And the best subwoofer in the world will not make up for them. Speakers with 5" woofers are the absolute smallest I would ever consider using.

The Acoustimass speaker package probably didn't sound as good as the Lifestyle all-in-one version because the AM series was probably connected to a receiver (Pioneer, Denon, etc) and no telling how that receiver was set up.

12. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I would urge anyone interested in teensy speakers to listen to them, and then listen to a small but decent speaker. In a box slightly bigger than four paperback books you can get decent sound. Anything smaller, and you will be disappointed.

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Ceiling mounting seems to be a trend in theater construction today, which only tells me the people wiring theaters have no concept of theater sound and are catering only to looks. There are worse things you can do in a surround setup (like the people that put all 6 speakers on top of the TV), but not many worse than ceilings in front. The purpose of the center is to anchor the dialog to the screen and one of the purposes of left/right is for directional sound pans across the screen. Both are destoyed by ceiling mounted speakers. I just don't know where this trend came from, but we keep seeing more and more theater installation plans calling all in-ceiling speakers. [​IMG]