What's new

newbie question: component and s-video cables (1 Viewer)

Bernard_Lee

Auditioning
Hello,

I just got some component videos for my new Home Theater setup. Do I also need S-Video cables? Does that help at all and will it provide additional picture quality or is that unnecessary? I only plan to hook up my DVD and will not be attaching a VCR to my setup.

Also, component video cables only carry video signals and I will need audio cables for the left and right channels, correct?

Thanks for your feedback on this.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
1. If you are using component (Red, green, blue cables for strictly video, not to be confused wth composite which is one yellow cable) then you will not need Svideo cables, as Component delivers better quality than Svideo

2. Yes you will need audio cables. However, if you are using a 5.1 set up, you will hook up one digital cable from the DVD player to the reciever to get 5.1. Using L/R audio cables will not give you 5.1 digital surround sound through your reciever.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
for redbook cd playback, you can use the l+r analog outs of the player if you feel it's dacs are better than your receiver's or if you think that that sounds better. otherwise, as nick said, use a single digital connection for the audio; either digi coax or optical.

Bernard_Lee

Auditioning
Nick,

Would something like this work as a digital cable?

Monster Interlink® LightSpeed™ 200 Digital Fiber Optic Cable

Thanks all for the feedback.

Bernard_Lee

Auditioning
Nick,

Thanks for all your good advice.

I also saw several posts touting the value of Acoustic Research cables.

I see that accessories4less.com has MS series for a reasonable price (about $30). Any experience or feedback on AR products?

Thanks!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
They are decent made interconnects. Not the greatest but for the money you can't really complain too much.

I have a few in my system.

GregCole

Grip
I have some MS cables and the are VERY well made. There is a seller on e-bay that has some awesome deals on the MS cables. I would suggest going with Component for video and Digital Coax for audio (if your player and TV support these formats).

My .02.

Good luck- Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks