What's new

newbie question(cable & sound) (1 Viewer)

billybob

Auditioning
I got a nice home theater system for christmas and it play dvd's wonderfully with great sound, but I want to know how to set it up so I receive cable tv sound through the speakers. My tv only has one set of a/v inputs and coax. this is the dvd player, it has pictures of the back to see the different plugs. I'll check back often to answer any questions that may help in solving the problem.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
It depends on whether or not you have a cable box.
Cable Box method: Hook up the cable box's RCA audio and video jacks (red, white, & yellow) to the inputs on your receiver. Connect the audio and video outputs from your receiver to your TV. You also have the option of running the video directly to the TV from the cable box (this will save you 1 cable purchase). Since your receiver won't convert video formats (i.e. composite to S-video, etc.) this is probably the best method (until you attach a 2nd source to the receiver).
Cable to TV:Connect the audio output of your TV to the audio input of your receiver. Do nothing with the video output of the TV.
For more connection info, check out the HTF FAQ.

billybob

Auditioning
Cable to TV:Connect the audio output of your TV to the audio input of your receiver. Do nothing with the video output of the TV.
i did that and set the receiver to aux 1 where the audio inputs are, but the tv has to be on input1 where the red/white cords are coming from and the cable doesn't play there.

Iver

Second Unit
If your cable box has analog audio (RCA jacks labeled R and L and usually red and white) outputs, run these into one of the video inputs on your receiver. As Greg mentioned, you can also connect the video through the receiver.

If you have no analog audio output on the cable box, but your TV has audio output jacks, you can run the TV audio into the receiver (or "auxiliary" input on an all-in-one HT box).

[Digital cable boxes usually have analog audio outputs, but many non-digital cable boxes just have a coax output.]

If neither your TV nor your cable box has analog audio outputs, you can run your cable signal (coax connection) into your VCR, run the video (yellow RCA jack labeled "video output" on VCR) to the TV, and run the analog audio (R/L audio out) to the receiver.

billybob

Auditioning
i got it, see i'm stupid and thought that i could be cool and use my composite inputs as outputs too. and since i don't have a VCR i won't be able to do it. is there some sort of device that will do that that other than a VCR?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks