What's new

Newbie Question about speaker settings (1 Viewer)

Jerald_K

Auditioning
I have had a Sony 333es receiver for over a year now, but still consider myself a newbie. I have enjoyed browsing the forum and learned a lot in a short amount of time. One thing that caught my attention was the fact of setting speakers to either large or small. I looked at my receiver and I can't seem to find anywhere that allows me to make a change in this regard. Can someone explain to me what it means to set the speakers to large or small and also does my receiver have this capability?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I don't own the Sony but if it is ES I would certainly hope it has an OSD (On-Screen Display). For this you need a video connection to your TV or Display. You need to activate the OSD from the remote and go into the Setup menu. Many times such a feature (speaker settings, sound adjustments, etc.) is also controllable from a front panel switch called Settings or something similar like Setup.

Refer to your manual if you have one for guidance on proper changes. If you have a subwoofer in your system, set your speakers to Small and calibrate with test tones. If you can get an Spl meter like the Rat Shack analog and a test tone DVD like AVIA so much the better.

Speakers set to Large receive the full frequency signal (meaning low Bass)...set to small the signal is redirected (with a subwoofer in the mix) at the crossover point which can be set by the receiver or by the subwoofer depending on connection. Do you have a sub?

Jerald_K

Auditioning
I do have a sub so I need to set my speakers to small.(They may be already for all I know) I just cannot find this information in the manual and I can't seem to find it on my set up menu either. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the advice, it helps me to understand what I'm looking for.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Jerald,

Just looked at an older Crutchfield catalog. I see the 333 does this through the LCD Remote. There has to be a menu setting for this like 'setup' or 'configuration' or just plain 'settings'.

Jerald_K

Auditioning
Great, I'll have to see what I can find out. My receiver was a floor model and the store had lost the remote so they ordered a new remote from Sony. Needless to say, I didn't get the manual for the remote. I guess I my need to get the manual for the remote. Thanks a lot for the information!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks