Newbie question about setup

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Luis_P, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Luis_P

Luis_P Auditioning

Hi everyone, just came across this site and so far I have seen a lot of knowledgeable people. If someone could please help me out with the setup of my home theater it would be greatly appreciated.
    This home theater package used to belong to my parents and now they have given it to me (because I moved into my own place). The problem is that I don't know how to set it up properly. I want it to be hooked up so that i can get the sorround sound when watching TV and DVDs, and also hook it up to be able to play CDs. Also, I bought a second DVD player so I can play movies not supported by the Sony. I want to be able to have both DVD players hooked up. Thanks in advance. This is my equipment:

27" JVC TV Model# AV-27020
    On back:
    Input - (S-Video),L/Mono,R
    Audio Out - L,R

Home Theater Package
    Sony Receiver Model# STR-K502
    Sony DVD Player Model# DVP-NC600

AMW DVD Player Model# V99

1- S-video cable
    1- Coax Cable
    Several RCA cables

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I suggest hooking up one DVD player using the digital coax audio input and then send the s video cable straight to the TV. Hook the other up through one of the video inputs using RCAs.
    The manual should show you the details as well as how to set up the surround modes.

3. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

First, what is your TV source? Do you have a cable box or satelite box?

I'll hold off on that part until we have that answer. You will need to go out and buy a few additional cables to hook this all up properly.

1) Connect the "main" DVD player's Audio OUT to the back of your Receiver's DVD Audio IN (using a digital coaxial or digital optical cable)
    2) Connect the "main" DVD player's S-video OUT to the back of your Receiver's DVD S-video IN
    3) Connect the "secondary" DVD player's Audio OUT to the back of your Receiver's CD Audio IN (again using a digital coaxial or digital optical cable)
    4) Connect the "secondary" DVD player's S-video OUT to the back of your Receiver's CD S-video IN

Now, depending on your TV source...

Cable Box or Satelite:
    VIDEO OPTIONS:
    Connect Cable/Sat RCA Video (yellow) OUT to the back of your Receiver's RCA TV (Yellow) IN
    OR
    Connect Cable/Sat S-video OUT to the back of your Receiver's TV S-video IN

AUDIO Options:
    Connect Cable/Sat RCA Audio (red&white) OUT to the back of your Receiver's RCA TV (Red&white) IN
    OR
    Connect Cable/Sat Audio (digital optical or Coaxial) OUT to the back of your Receiver's TV (digital optical or Coaxial) IN

NOTE: if you have no cable/sat box just cable from the wall, run the coax to your TV and then from the TV's RCA audio OUT (red&white) to your receiver's TV RCA audio IN (red&white)

Finally,
    Connect your Receiver's S-video OUT to your TV's S-video IN
    and your Receiver's RCA video (yellow) OUT to your TV's RCA Video IN

4. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Also, please note that "Surround sound" from TV is NOT the same as it is from DVD's. DVD's which are encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks have discrete sounds which come from the surrounds. Regular TV will produce very little sound from your surround speakers. Don't be surprised or disappointed by this. Most TV programming is broadcast with a basic stereo soundtrack. Even the best pro-logic decoding will not produce much sound from your surrounds. If you really want to hear "sound" from your surrounds you will have to try some of the receiver's DSP modes. These will take some of the stereo track and output it through your surrounds. You will not hear anything like planes flying overhead.

5. Luis_P

Luis_P Auditioning

6. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

7. Luis_P

Luis_P Auditioning

Hey guys, first off I just want to start off by thanking you for the answers to my little situation. Second, I was mistaken on something I said. My receiver does have an S-Video In but does NOT have any S-Video Outs. I got my "main" dvd hooked up fine using the audio coax cable (for digital), rca cables (red+white,analog) and the s-video cable (hooked up directly to the tv). My second DVD player is only hooked up using the rca cables (red+white) for my music CDs (until I can figure out how to set it up for video also). I tried hooking up my TV to the receiver (to get the sound to come out of my speakers) but it didn't work. I used the rca cables (red+white) like mentioned and nothing. Please help [​IMG]
    Also, my receiver has a place to put a yellow "Monitor" cable, what is that for? Well, if it's not too much trouble I hope someone can help AGAIN [​IMG] Thanks.

8. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

First question....how do you get TV programming? Cable or Satellite? Do you have a cable/sat box? What kind of outputs does it have?
    Video: S-video or RCA (yellow)?
    Audio: Optical Digital, Coaxial Digital, Red&White RCA?
    Or do you just have a plain old cable that goes right to the TV?

Second...according to your manual which I found on the internet...your receiver has 1 S-video input and 1 S-video output.

Assuming your TV has both an S-video input and a Video RCA (yellow) Input...here is what I recommend.

Video
    1) Connect the "main" DVD player's Audio OUT to the back of your Receiver's DVD Audio IN using a digital coaxial cable
    2) Connect the "main" DVD player's S-video OUT to the back of your Receiver's DVD S-video IN
    3) Connect the "secondary" DVD player's Audio OUT to the back of your Receiver's [input labeled Video] Audio IN using RCA audio cables (red&white)
    4) Connect the "secondary" DVD player's RCA video OUT (yellow) to the back of your Receiver's [input labeled Video] RCA video IN
    5) Connect your Receiver's [labeled Monitor] S-video OUT to your TV's S-video IN
    6) Connect your Receiver's [labeled Monitor] RCA video (yellow) OUT to your TV's RCA Video IN

When you use the main DVD player, choose "dvd" on your receiver and your receiver will output the dvd audio to your speakers and the S-video feed to your TV. For the second DVD player choose "Video" on your receiver and the audio will go to the speakers (stereo not 5.1) and the RCA video feed to your TV.

This is the easiest way to handle it. Connections for your cable/sat will depend on what you've got.

9. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Curious. What do you mean by "movies not supported by the Sony"?

11. Luis_P

Luis_P Auditioning