Newbie question about SACD

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matt_Sarzyniak, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Matt_Sarzyniak

Matt_Sarzyniak Auditioning

I was thinking about purchasing an SACD disc (a hybrid title) and I'm curious what music mix I would get out of my system. I use my DVD player for CDs and it does not say that it reads SACD. The player does have DD 5.1 and DTS decoders, as does my amplifier. Would I be correct n assuming that the only mix that I would be getting out of the disc would be the 2.0 mix and not the 5.1? Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, you will only get the CD layer, which will be stereo.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

A SACD layer of a hybrid disc can feature a multi-channel mix of the album as well. If that's the case, then your disc will have a regular CD mix, a 2-channel stereo SACD mix, and a multi-channel SACD mix.

If your DVD player is not SACD compatible, you can still play your hybrid disc....but you will only be able to listen to the CD layer of the disc.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sometimes, the 2ch CD layer will be a new master done at the same time the SACD layer(s) is being done, so it can be an improvement over previous releases. I stress that this is not always the case. For particular titles, I'd ask in the music section here, to see what people who have heard the disc in question think. IMO, once you hear the SACD layers, you will never want to go back... Most redbook CDs seem veiled and compressed to me now.