Newbie question about High End CD players (Linn, Rotel, Arcom)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Benson, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Extra

I'm new to the hobby and was wondering if someone here could lend me a bit of advice about CD Players.
    With the current setup I have (Onkyo Model DXc201 - purchased 1991), my local HT Dealers are saying that a good CD Player will make a big improvement. They are suggesting Linn, Rotel or Arcom.
    Will a ($400 to $500) CD player make that much of a difference over my current CD player?
    One I was looking at is the Rotel 971 because I found one at $400 which is in my price range.
    Current Setup
    Marantz SR-18Ex Reciever
    Snell KII LCR
    Snell Sr.5 Rears
    PSB Subsonic 7 Sub
    Sony Playstation 2 (Dvd Player)
    Thank You
    Benson

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chris,
    Although you are new here- this is a question that would be better suited for our AV sources area. High end CD players are usually not the territory of the newbie area [​IMG]
    So, I've moved your post to our AV source area- and I hope someone there will help you out.
    -Vince

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, first welcome to the Forum. Now, I would say that a newer player in the $400-500 range would yield a marked improvement in your system. If you search this site, you will find that the subject of CD players in your price range has been discussed quite a bit.
    You won't find anything new from Linn as far as I know for $500. You may some of their older lower-end models used for $500, however. Rotel makes some nice players, and they recently released the RCD-1070 that I believe sells for $500-600 (maybe a bit more). It got a good review in the current issue of What Hi*Fi? out of the UK. I believe the '1070 is available in the US now.
    You mentioned "Arcom". Did you mean Adcom or Arcam? Both are moderate-to-high-end companies, and both make CD players. Adcom makes only two models at present, but nothing in your price range. Arcam recently released the DiVA CD62 that should be available in your price range. The DiVA CD72T is well regarded, but it sells for $600-700 typically. See www.audiolab.com for good prices on Arcam CD players.
    You seem to be interested in single-disc players, but might I suggest a carousel changer? Take a look at the Sony SCD-C222ES. It retails for $800, but Oade Bros., an authorized Sony dealer, sells it for $525 by mail (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). In addition to being a good CD player, the 'C222ES plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. If you are not aware, SACD is a high-resolution audio format that exceeds the sound quality from conventional CDs. As you can see from my description of the 'C222ES, SACD can deliver high-resolution audio in both stereo and surround sound. Anyway, I suggest you look at the 'C222ES. Build quality is quite good, and it is an excellent value. See www.crutchfield.com for more information on the 'C222ES. Note that they sell it for full price ($800), so give Oade Bros. a call. Also, OneCall (1-800-340-4770) and J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) will likely match or beat Oade Bros.' price. OneCall and J&R are also authorized dealers.
    Hope this helps. Good luck.

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Extra

KeithH,

Thank You for your help. It was Arcam that I was thinking of. I will check out the Sony and the new Rotel 1070.

Thanks

-Benson

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Chris,

A few weeks ago, I obtained a used Musical Fidelity CDP from Audiogon.com ($700) and have been in love with it ever since. You may want to keep an eye on that site for used CDPs. IMHO, I feel that there is a tendency to get better deals on used higher quality equipment than buying new, lower quality stuff. Believe me, I was in the same situation that you are and I feel that I did extremely well with my purchase. One note...MF products tend to sell EXTREMELY fast if they're even out there at all. I think this is because people don't want to part with them.

Good luck!

Ron