Newbie Question About Dvd Purchased

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken_VW, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Ken_VW

Ken_VW Extra

Hello all, 2nd attempt at my 1st post. sorry for any confusion.
    I just purchased my first home theater system. Onkyo complete 650 watt system in box, HT-500 (receiver & speakers) The salesman recommended a panasonic DVD player, model# DVD-CP67S. Now that I have it all hooked up I have questions. The receiver has 6 terminal sets for the DVD
    (R front, L front, R rear, L rear, Center, & Subwoofer)
    My DVD only has 2 channel output,plus a subwoofer terminal.

The DVD instructions state that it does NOT have a DTS or Dolby digital encoder, but that if hooked to a receiver that has one, it will utilize both. I believe that my receiver does have both judging by the claims & logo's on the outer box.

Is this DVD OK, or should I return it for a better one with the multi-speaker terminals on it??
    Do I need a DVD with the DTS & Dolby encoder built in??

I can return this for a store credit for 30 days.
    I simply want a good sounding system. I have spent a good deal already and want to be able to utilize all thats available.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, I'm learning.
    Thanks in advance for your help. I will surely have other questions also.

Ken

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

First of all, it's a DVD player. A DVD is the disc you put into it.
    There should be no need to exchange your player. What you need is a single digital connection between the player and your receiver. This will be either an optical connection (using a roughly square plug; you'll need to buy the cable separately) or a coaxial connection, which uses regular RCA plugs. Look at your player and receiver, and determine what kind of digital connector(s) each one takes.
    I strongly recommend that you consult the HTF Beginners Primer and FAQ, which is listed at the top of the Basics area. You'll find that many of your questions have already been answered.
    M.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Ken,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    As Michael suggested- you can get the full 6 channel audio stream from your DVD player to your receiver using a single digital cable. There are two types of digital cable- optical and coax (which is discussed in the FAQ and primer doc Michael linked to).
    Your DVD player should have some sort of digital output, and your receiver some sort of digital input. By using these together, your DVD player will pass a 6 channel digital signal to the receiver, where it will be decoded and sent to the appropriate speakers.
    I would also strongly suggest that you grab a cup of coffee and check out the FAQ AND PRIMER-- you'll probably find that if you make it all the way through the info presented there that you'll have an all new understanding of Home Theater- and probably a whole new batch of questions. [​IMG]
    Enjoy!
    -Vince

4. Ken_VW

Ken_VW Extra

Thanks guys,
    I've been reading there for the last 1/2 hour & have already found answers to several of my concerns. Be assured that I will spend time there this evening at home. Glad I found this site. I frequent one similar to it for the woodworking community, another nice bunch of folks.
    The good news is that I won't need to upgrade my DVD PLAYER [​IMG]. So far I am thrilled with the way it sounds, although there is much I need to learn about function. I couldn't believe the difference 12 ga speaker cable made vs the microscopic wire that came with the system.
    Will take your advice,
    Thanks again until next time,
    Ken