What's new

Newbie Question: 8 ohm load with two 4 ohm drivers? (1 Viewer)

GaryLP

Agent
Hi guys...I am a total newbie when it comes to home audio...and I'm even worse when it comes to DIY stuff.

If I wanted to make a very simple 3-way set of loudspeakers, how to I achieve an 8 ohm load if most drivers are 8 ohms?

I assume that if I use a 8 ohm bass driver and a 8 ohm mid driver and I get a custom x-over built by Madisound, I'll get a 4 ohm load right?

What if I use 4 ohm drivers? Is it possible to get a 8 ohm load?

Thanks guys.

Gary

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Gary: no, you'll get an 8 ohm load.

With two 8-ohm drivers playing the SAME FREQUENCY RANGE, you would have a 4-ohm load wiring in parallel, and a 16-ohm load wiring in series.

However, with an 8 ohm bass driver and an 8 ohm midrange, you still have an 8 ohm load. This is because the crossover attenuates the output by raising the impedance.

:)

GaryLP

Agent
Jeff,

Thanks...that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Where's a good place to get a custom passive x-over built? Have you ever used Madisound or Solen? Do you have any idea how much a 12dB 3-way would cost?

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I don't really know anything about "3rd party" crossover design services. I just bit the bullet and paid for LspCAD and built an inexpensive microphone to do my own testing and crossover. I guess it takes a certain commitment to climing the learning curve, too.

Do these crossover design services test the response of your drivers in the same box on the same baffle that you will use? If not, I'd be skeptical. I'm just a newbie working on his first project, but the overwhelming amount of advice from the folks who know what they're talking about is that a custom crossover built on measured data is key.

GaryLP

Agent
Yikes...i didn't know it was so complicated. I think I might be in over my head. I just want to build a simple 3-way for my garage.

Looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of learning.

A

Anthony_Gomez

what type of budget are you looking at?

is this for music to be played loudly?...for thumping bass or for when you are doodling aroundin the garage, or what?

There may already be a DIY design for your needs. ...would just need to solder up the XO and build the enclosure.

GaryLP

Agent
Anthony,

I was thinking about using the JM LABS TMCTIBJM tweeters,

the JM LABS 7C114 S7 midbasses,

and FOCAL 10KN617 10" bass units.

I was thinking about using these because they're pretty cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks