Newbie question! 6.1 encoded DVD played through a 5.1 processor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronnie Ferrell, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Ok, let me start by saying as of now, I have been a 2-channel audio guy. I have never owned a Dolby "fill in the blank" surround sound processor. I am wanting to build up a modest HT system. It will be replacing my 10 year old 2-channel audio system. I have an original Parasound HCA-2200 MK-I with a Parasound P/FET 900-II preamp. Music is still very important to me. I am not rich and will not be pouring tones of money into the system.
    I am looking at the Sherwood Newcastle R-756 receiver. It does 2-channel music reproduction well. And that is a must for my system. It is also in my price range.
    My question is: What do you get when you play a 6.1 DD Ex or DTS Ex encoded DVD through a receiver that only has 5.1 DD and DTS? Do you get information decoded in the 5.1 format with the sixth channel missing? Or do you get (for the lack of better words) "fake" surround? I know a 6.1 receiver will decode a 5.1 DVD, but I have not found any information on what happens when you reverse this...
    Thanks!
    Ronnie
    ps-Bob's new Receiver chart is awesome!

2. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Ronnie,
    The surround sound you will get in playing a 6.1 encoded dvd will not be "fake" as you say with a 5.1 receiver. You simply will hear regular 5.1 sound. The 6.1 format is backwards compatible with 5.1 systems.

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

THANK YOU!!!
    You just made my purchasing decision that much easier!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ronnie