Newbie Question #2 - Recievers with tons of inputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Klein, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

Are there any recievers out there (affordable ones, im on a tight budget here... say $400 and under) that are good quality and have lots of inputs?
    I have Xbox, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, and a DVD player and want them all hooked up at once. This will take many inputs. I need 1 component input and the rest svideo...
    Any ideas?
    Right now I am using the stock reciever with the Kenwood HTB-504... it has 4 Svideos and a seperate DVD input.. but no component... and I really need 1-2 more inputs cause I am planning to add a Sega Genesis or maybe MD player to the mix.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

and your against using a switchbox?

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

AS far as I know, you are not going to get a receiver for under $400 that has component switching and six s-video inputs. I would venture to guess that it would be hard to find in any price range.

I would suggest what was posted above. Get a switchbox. Remote controlled ones are available as well.

C. Ryan

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    the new Onkyo 600 will have component switching when it comes out in the next few weeks. the price should be around $400 from discount retailers like J&R.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Steve,

I also have a soft spot for older video games. IN my systm I have all 5 older systems (which only have composite or svideo sends) switched through a video switcher from SIMA. It is able to be controlled by remote- and even has built in comb filters which can convert composite inputs and pass them out the svideo out (allowing me to connect everything and have a single SVIDEO out).

I think it cost $99 like 3 yeras ago.

-V

6. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

hmmm i could pick that sucker up and probably not need a new reciever... although i will still want component for Xbox down the line.

7. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

just to clarify, your tv has one component input and you need 2 right?

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I just got a Pioneer VSX-D710S for $300. 2 component inputs & 5 S-video. Close?

Glenn

9. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

Hey Glenn....
    is that a total of 7 inputs, or if the components are in use can the SVideos not be used?
    Also, is there seperate input for a DVD player?
    Thanks...

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm still trying to figure out the instructions. I have 2 component inputs with 1 output. Sorry, I have 3 S-Outputs. 1 each for DVD, SAT & VCR/DVR.

Now I feel like an idiot. You can go this way. Get a switcher from Radio Shack. They have them w/4 inputs (either super or component video, and feed the output into this stereo. The same can be done for the component ones. Since I have more than 2 component inputs, I brought a Radio Shack A/V switcher (4 in, 1 out). These are only about 25 - 50 bucks each, and the possibilities are endless.

Glenn

11. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

so essentialy... i get 4 of this little 25-50 dollar tools and i can turn 5 inputs into 20?

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Gee, I guess you could at that. Just link them all up. This sounds like a wiring nightmare, though. And please note that every time you add another cable there is a greater chance for one of the cables or connections to not be perfect, so the signal quality would go down. Unlikely, but still possible. Have fun.

Glenn

13. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

Just get a cheap manual switchbox from the shack, because to play your video games, you have to go turn them on by hand anyway, so just select which one you want, even get a little lableler and label the switches on the box.

14. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit