What's new

newbie ques-- HDTV (1 Viewer)

I am trying to make heads or tails of whether or not I will need something additional to view in HDTV. If I purchase a true HDTV projector (native 1024) with the hdtv input ( I believe some say RGB - HDTV port) and have a digital cable provider with some local channels in HD will I be getting a HD picture? I know that I will need to use a DVI DVD in order for a great picture from the movie but I am trying to figure out the HD. Thanks for any help. You guys are really knowledgeable. I have been studying for three or four days now but it is a lot of info to take in.
Diana

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Diana,

a true HD projector would be either 1280 by 720 or 1920 by 1080, not sure if the latter is widely available, yet. HDTV siganl is broadcast in one or the other...either 720p or 1080i. I couldn't see getting a projector that i know i would use for high def. without it having a dvi input.

hope this helps

Mike

thanks mike
i meant 1280 (i was thinking in computers)
but will i need any sort of converter or adapter in order to view my digital cable in HDTV if it is available with my provider?

thanks again

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Welcome to HTF Diana!

All of it depends on what kind of cable box your provider has. What I suggest doing is calling your cable provider and asking them what type of connector they use. Some use 1394 aka Firewire, some use component, some use DVI. What you will do is connect the video output of the cable box directly to the projector. There are no special adapters needed unless the projector you get doesn't match the output of the cable box-- which is why I say call the cable company first to be sure the projector you get has the right input. You will then run the digital audio output on the cable box to your receiver. Be sure to ask the cable company what digital output type it has. Some cable boxes use only coaxial, some use only optical aka Toslink, some have both.

The cable technician will come to your home, install the box, and check signal levels. In general they won't connect the digital audio outputs so be sure to have a cable of the type you need on-hand. Most will connect the box to your projector but they won't have long-run cables. If your cable box is to be installed further than three feet from the projector be sure to have the proper video cable on-hand too. Don't expect them to come in and install it dependent on you buying the right cables later. The general policy is not to leave equipment at a subscriber's house unless they can verify that everything works as billed.

Hope this helps and 'Diana' is one of my favorite names. Makes me think of Roman goddesses :b

Thanks Jason!!
That was enormously helpful.
My mom tried to tell me I was named after Princess Diana but considering she was already a princess when I was in the sixth grade, i figured it out!!
General Hospital actually had a Diana that they name comes from. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks