What's new

Newbie purchase help (1 Viewer)

Hi. Just trolling for opinions. I need several speakers to turn my old stereo into my new stereo and HT setup.
I had been running a 15yo Yamaha RX-700U and a pair of 15yo Boston Acoustic A150s....all connected to my 12yo 19" television. Yes, I have been living in the dark ages. :)
Now -> 51" Sony wide screen HDTV (51HW40) in the living room with an Onkyo 600 A/V receiver on order. I'm retiring the Yamaha receiver, but want to keep the A150s for my front speakers. Any ideas on what speakers would complement this setup? I'd like it for about 60% HT and 40% music.
Things I'm not sure of:
- Would I need a sub with the A150s? My neighbors would probably prefer if I skipped that speaker. :)
- Does the 6th back speaker really add value?
- Could I just get by with two side speakers and a center channel? Any recommendations on brands that won't break the bank? Anyone know of a center speaker that fits on top of a (narrow) Sony 51HW40 RPTV?
Thanks for any help you can lend.
cheers,
Steve

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
- Does the 6th back speaker really add value?
It's a relatively modest embellishment of a 5.1 channel system. Whether it will make the system sound better or worse probably depends on the specific configuration and size of your room. Due to limitations of the matrix decoding on Dolby Surround EX recordings, there are no guarantees that the additional center back speaker will even sound as good as 5.1 channel system. There is a tendency for the surround channels to collapse into the single center back speaker, basically turning the wonderful discrete surround channels of a Dolby Digital soundtrack into a mono surround channel like the old days. The DTS-EX Discrete approach is better, but at last count, there were a whopping 13 titles available in that format. The center back channel would be low on my list of priorities compared to assembling a good, well-matched 5-speaker array and a capable powered subwoofer.

Ahh...another stupid question from the newbie:

Will my floor standing 3 way Boston Acoustic A150s suffice for the right and left front channels or should I drop these on speaker B and use smaller satellites up front with a sub when I am listening to HT? They are 15 years old, so I'm not sure that just matching the brand will ensure that they are a good match with new BA side sats and center. What do you think?

If I don't need the smaller sats up front, then I don't have to buy one of these 6 speaker setups, but that makes me wonder is there anything special about the side/back sats that I should be looking for when I try to buy them as separates?

Thanks again.

cheers,

Steve

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
listening to HT?
What happened to watching? :)
But time to be serious. It's been my experience that the 3 most important speakers in HT are the R/C/L set. You'll find these three speakers form the front soundstage and it's noticeable if the Center is drastically different from the Right and Left. If you can find a center channel that matches your right and left then by all means keep the speakers you have. A subwoofer is never absoluted needed, but once you start watching movies with one (unless you avoid any movies with any bass) you won't want to go back.
One of the nice things about this hobby is you can upgrade slowly, or buy it all at once. And its always how does it sound to you.
Hope this was helpful.
Brian

Thanks much Brian. Thanks also for the FAQ...didn't know it was there. :b You guys have all been fantastic!

cheers,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks