What's new

Newbie.....Projection TV Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Patrick McC

Auditioning
Hi There;

I am a newbie. I have begun looking at buying a 51"-57" projection TV in the price range of $2500-$3500CAD. I am frankly overwhelmed with all the bells and whistles....all the pantamblers and farzoozals. (Sorry, I just watched the Grinch).

Frankly, I don't know what I need in terms of options or what I will need in a system so it is not obsolete next year. Could someone please recommend 1 or 2 systems I should be looking at for my best bang for the buck. One requirement is that I must be able to watch regular TV in non-zoomed mode. I hate watching TV where everyone is short and fat.

Thanks in advance

Pat

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you can get by with less of the cooler features, you can get more screen size for your buying buck.

A set that has basic component input supporting 480p, and 1080i is 100% functional, and should still be able to last through the expected life of the product.

The bells and whistles that may be of interest to you are:

HDTV Tuner or not (These are still mostly over the air ATSC tuners only, not cable, not satalite) I see external tuners from $200 to $300 often anymore.

720p support (Not such a big deal on Cable, Sat, and/or broadcast stuff as most tuner type boxes allow you the HD output of your choice, but if you use or plan on using game consoles like xbox, this could be a biggie for you)

DVI Input (May become very important in the future)

Multiple true HD component video inputs (many only have one)

With that said, I went with a set that has none of this, but ended up getting a 60" for $1248 too. :)

Bought an open box HDTV Tuner for $200 and have found my veiwing experience has been enriched greatly by the purchase. I do alot of Regular Cable, HDTV, LaserDisc, and DVD veiwing. I find I cannot even tolerate VCR veiwing on it though, as it is just too bottom end video these days.

I hope this helps some...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks