Newbie pre-out question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Riel, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Thomas_Riel

Thomas_Riel Agent

Dec 1, 2001
    Maybe you guys can help me out. I currently have only a 2 channel stereo system driven by an integrated amp. I really like the sound of this amp but I want to upgrade my system to H/T. My question is that if I purchase a receiver that has pre-outs and am not totally thrilled with its 2 channel stereo performance and then proceeded to hook up my amp through the two main pre-outs, would I lose anything through the transition? Would the receiver’s amps be totally overridden? Would it have any effects on the receiver’s H/T performance? Is this a good idea?

Thanks.............. Tom
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    It would work fine, Thomas – that’s what those pre-out jacks are for. I’m running mine to an outboard amplifier myself.
    If you do go this route, here is the best way to make your connections to the integrated amp, in order of preference:
    • If it has pre-out/main-in jacks, use the main in jacks. This will entirely bypass the pre-amp section.
    • If no main-in jacks are available, use the tape monitor input. This will bypass most of the pre amp circuitry, including the tone controls.
    • As a last option, use the CD input, set the tone controls to flat (if there’s a bypass switch for the tone controls, use it), set the volume for 50%.
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    P.S. Welcome to the Forum!