What's new

Newbie posting here....where can I see some front-projection home theater pics? (1 Viewer)

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith
Hello all. New here, and glad I found to the place. I see some good stuff here, and lots if things to help me deal with the ever-growing bird-nest of wires behind my entertainment unit. LOL

Is there anywhere on here where a person can view pictures of home theater setups with front-mounted projectors? I have an Infocus IN72 on the way, and I need to get a few ideas as to how to set this dude up.

I'm slowly learning how I might incorporate this into my existing entertainment system, but it seems that there are only so many connections for the projectors, but loads of stuff to connect to it.

I'll have several newbie-like questions as I learn more about setting up my home theater, but I won't try to bombard anyone. ;)

Thanks,
Todd

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I echo that welcome Todd.

What are you going to feed your projector with? Do you have a hd dvd, blu-ray, or dvd player or other such device? What about your receiver, does it have hdmi capability?

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Here is what I have in my home theater so far (nothing HD). The In72 will be the only HDMI capable item I will have.

Onkyo HT-S570
Dish 625 DVR receiver
32" JVC D-Series CRT tv (standard def)
XBox 360

The confusion I am having is how to incorporate the projector into my existing setup. I want to run the Xbox360 (also used as my primary DVD player) through the projector, but I also want to be able to view special events such as football games via the Dish reciever through the projector WITHOUT disconnecting it from my tv. All, while using the best audio and video connections my limited system is capable of.

Here is what I might do, so feel free to chime in if this sounds stupid, or if I sound like the complete amatuer that I am. :frowning:

The xbox360 and my Onkyo unit both have optical audio connections (toslink), so I'll need to buy a long cable for that to get the best sound, with a toslink splitter to also connect the Onkyo to my Dish for best sound.

My Dish unit has pretty limited video capabilities. It looks like s-video is its best option for image quality to the projector (the only other looks to be composite, which I dont like). So, I'll get a long S-video cable to run to the projector and an s-video splitter to split off to the TV set.

But, what is NOT addressed is connecting my xbox360's component capabilities to the projector. Should I mount the xbox 360 near the projector and use the component cables that came with the 360, or should I put the 360 somewhere else and by some kind of component cable extenders for the 360 to reach the projector?

I dont even know if the stuff I mentioned exists. I just want the simplest system I can get with the best quality that it is capable of. I'd also REALLY prefer not to spend $300 on cables! LOL ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks