Newbie overwhelmed with decisions....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Neth, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

LOL I bet you all hear that a bunch!

I'm looking to drop about 2k on a box (8ft sitting distance, 30%dvd, 70%cable and sports) and I can not even begin to tell you how helpful this forum has been in helping me narrow down my search (and in eductaing me on features and terminology.)

After scratching through these boards, and many others, I was all set to purchase either the much talked about 'Pan 53wx42' or the Tosh '50h82'. I went to two stores (BB and CC) and decided I preffered the Toshiba based on the look and general gut feeling.

Then I went to onecall.com to price match and noticed that they have the Tosh model that is a step down from the 508h2 - the 50h81. Man, and then I noticed that for the same price as the 50h82 I could get the 57h81 !! That is 7 more inches.

The question is... what am I really giving up buy buying an older model? I realize that the *.82 model is DVI upgradeable but from my readings on here and other places I am not sure that is a big concern for me - well its hard for me to say that because outside of the copyright prtection issue, I dont know much about it. Is there any other practical benefit (aside from a hypothetical in the future) to having a DVI connection?

But besides that, is there any other reason why you would suggest I do NOT buy an older model even though I can get a much bigger screen size for the price?

Thank you all soooo much and again.... Killer forum!

2. VinT

VinT Agent

I think the 82s have upgraded CRTs, which means better picture. I would definetly prefer better picture than bigger size.

3. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

can anyone confirm or comment on this?

If there is a noticeable differnce in picture quality between the two models I will certainly stay with the more expensive *.82 - but if the only difference is the 'future' DVI capability then I have a hard time justifying the extra bones. (unless of course their is a more practical use for DVI that i am not understanding)

I have searched the forum again and found no real info about the difference between 50h81 and 50h82

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Friend,
    Get the Tosh 50H82 if you want to be safe. I don't know if it's the "only" difference, but for sure I know this - the Tosh H82's are DVI upgradeable while the H81's are not. The Cinema series TOsh (HDX82) already has a DVI plug I think.
    What prices are you looking at? Go to onecall.com and speak with them. They have superb prices and service.
    HTH,
    ELmO[​IMG]

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

With your viewing distance, I'd definitely get the newer set over the larger screen.

Besides the DVI, the new models have better upconversion to 540p than last year's. Okay, I don't consider upconversion on last year's model a problem, but the new models render the whole issue irrelevant, IMHO. The result is a sharper picture, and at 8' viewing distance, you'll want all the sharpness you can get.

I had a great experience ordering from OneCall.com.

Jan

6. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

I just talked to someone from OneCall and he confirmed that the older models do have a lower picture quality and line doubler.

I am still completely in the dark about what practical purpose, or use, DVI has - or will have, outside of some potential future copyright stuff and some pay per view stuff.... but I think I have RE-decided on getting the newer model for pic qulaity alone... most likely the 50h82

Now to decide between BestBuy ($2199 - no interest for 24 months) and Onecall ($1979 - looks like they have a no interest for 6 months option)

7. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

Oh man... so dig this!

I finally decide to pull the trigger and purchase the tosh 50h82. Any doubts I had were finally put to rest when I was able to see the set side by side with some of the other models I was considering (like the panny and a sony).

So I get down to Best Buy and begin to fill out an application for the their card so I can recieve the 24 months 0% interest and guess what!

I was DENIED.

LOL - what a buzz kill. Now, i know my credit rating is still slowly repairing itself after I destroyed it in college... but that was ohhhhh, 7 years ago. I am a Director of Technology for a multisite organization, with a newly purchased auto, a fresh AMEX and MC in my pocket with no balance and very good paying job.

the woman I talked too said she was turned down too and that the credthouse they use is VERY strict because of the products they sell there... well ummm, Sears sells appliances too and you just have to have a heart beat to get one of their cards.

jeez louise, I felt like going to an ATM and taking the money out in 10 dollar bills, putting it in a metal briefcase and going back to pay for the TV just to re-assert my manhood LOL LOL!

So anyway, thankfully I have more than enough spare cash to cover the cost of the set. And because I'm mad at BB (even though it wasnt their fault LOL) I am going to order from OneCall since they were so helpful to me.

8. Dreama Slay

Dreama Slay Auditioning

Thats weird, I got a Best Buy card no problem, (and my credit is not the greatest) but I can't get accepted thru Sears if my life depended on it!

9. Dave Neth

Dave Neth Auditioning

proving that there is most likely no ryhme or reason to it at all

10. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Dave,

Since you've been denied credit based on your credit report, you can check into the report and see what the problem is. You might try calling Equifax at 1-800-685-1111 and asking for a free credit report. Could be some incorrect info there.

Jan