What's new

Newbie Once more. (1 Viewer)

Hello,

About 14 years ago I frequented the home theater forums, I subscribed to several magazines and I considered myself quite the expert in home theater hardware and various applications.

My forum Nickname back then was Ryeman.

The highlight of my home theater journey was when I purchased a Yamaha RXV-2095 with the latest surround sound technology at the time I was in my 20's when I purchased this beast and is broke my bank account. Back then DTS encryption was rare to find on DVD's and most main stream DVD's were Dolby Digital (AC-3). You actually had to special order DVD's to get a DTS only copy of them.

Ok, so now I am old and so is my RXV-2095 :) Over the past 10 years or so, I stopped subcribing to Audio Visual Journals (main stream stuff primarily) and I have been out of the loop so to speak for just as long. Essentially, my Yamaha receiver needs to be replaced because when I switch on the 5.1 it shuts off and 7.1 intrigues me somewhat, but I don't know much more then that.

Therefore, I need some help from the experts...You guys that are regulars here as I once was. (well maybe not this forum, the one I belonged to previously is long gone)

Anyway, any help that can be provded me here will be very much appreciated.

My Media room is roughly 10x14 feet
I am looking for a receiver as I don't believe I can afford seperates (I was broke before but now I have two kids lol!)
My Price Range is max $2000 but I can wait and save more money if needed.
I would like to explore the Yamaha's, Denon's, Onkyo's, Marantz's or others in that level.
I would also like to explore the next step above and maybe consider slightly higher end receives like ROTEL or Outlaw for example.
I would like the receiver to have HDMI v1.3, Dolby True HD and DTS True HD and 7.1 surround.
HDMI Switching from Analog sources.

What I am looking for here is a starting point. I am looking for suggestions from the experts here to guide me in the right direction.

Any and all help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What are your speakers? A receiver will make a minimal improvement (aside from features) compared to speakers.

Hi John,

My speakers currently are old too! They are Paradigm Monitor 7's mains, Centre is Paradigm cc-350, the rears are very old Paradigm 5se MkII's

I plan to upgrade my speakers as well in the near future. I planned to do the receiver first because my current dinosaur is acting up.

I eventually plan to purchase some In-wall speakers as my space is limited. I am not sure what to look for in exploring this as well. I figured I would cross this bridge when I get to it.

Your point is well taken however though and thank you.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
With your budget, I'd strongly consider this Onkyo:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR906-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B001AMUFG6/ref=sr_1_67?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1250964848&sr=1-67
With Onkyo, you get a lot of bang for the buck. This one has the HQV Reon-VX video processing, which is one of the best, if not the best in this type application. Plenty of power and lots of features. You'll have enough change left to get a blu ray player..............
Good luck with whatever you get.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
What about other parts of your system, e.g. display, TivoHD/HD-DVR, Blu-ray? What do you have, and are you planning to upgrade there, or are you up to date there?

Normally I wouldn't spend so much on a receiver, I think the sonic difference (there are other differences, like video processing / network audio streaming that can be handled in alternate components) between something like a Onkyo 906 vs. say a 707 at half the price is negligible/unnoticeable and would put the money to upgrade elsewhere. Video component(s) as above. You didn't mention a subwoofer either, I'd rather have a killer sub + cheap receiver than an expensive receiver & cheap/no sub.

I'd look at the Onkyo 707 & 607, also the Denon 890/2310, 790/1910.

Hello,

Thank you for the input I have received thus far!

I have an Energy 150 watt RMS mosfett subwoofer circa 1996 (wedding gift from my wife, bless her little heart).
My Video Is a Hitachi 1080i rear projection Television. Just an aside, When I upgraded to HD it ruined it pretty much! All the standard definition content on HD channels caused burn in on the vertical edges of the screen because I hate watching stretched TV. And all along I was worried about the bars on the top and bottom when I watched movies! LOL! ( want to replace with LCD)
I also Currently have a Samsung Blu-Ray Player that I got last Christmas which is consumer grade.

I am starting to realize that my room is probably too small to accomodate 7.1 as I do more research.

I think I would rather have quality VS bells and whistles as I hardly EVER use the DSP settings on my current Yamaha. I have used the movie DSP's, but as far as the church or the sport Dsp's or the live concert dsp's (roxy theater which was on by default) I maybe turned them on once or twice and though that it was cool, but never really bought into them.

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
Well, once again I have to agree with Stephen on his thoughts. I would think any the receivers he mentioned would be fine. Crutchfield has the onkyo 806 for $680 right now. I'm sure it can even been found cheaper than that somewhere. The next part for me would have to be the TV. I just picked up a Panasonic TC-P4S1 (42") for my son's room for 700 bucks yesterday. Not that is the best TV on the market but for a 42" plasma that's 1080P I think I almost stole it. That would leave around $550 at the least to get a good sub. I don't own an SVS sub but EVERYONE on here loves them. Here's two in your budget. http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm and http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm. Your speakers still work so rock them a little longer till you can spend what you want to a new set. Hope this helps.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't worry about old speakers. Speakers aren't a "technology" thing as much as some other components. Paradigm makes good stuff and you are probably much better off with them than any in-wall speakers you would replace them with. As logn as they are in good condition (the surrounds aren't deteriorating) I would stick with them. BTW, the (increasingly common) thought of getting in-wall speakers makes my skin crawl. To me, and some others here, that is a last ditch effort where the only other option is nothing at all. I go along with the idea of upgrading the receiver to something reasonable and getting a better sub.

Hi Again John,

Actually I wasn't really planning on replacing my speakers right away. The $2000 was exlusively reserved for Audio/video processing and amplification.

In-walls are just an option I may consider. What may make more sence when I have some more money is to maybe look at the Paradigm reference line and get a compliment of their smaller models and try to get a really good sub to team up with them for bottom end.

My wife is trying to talk me into (when I can get an LCD) to put it on the long wall of my media room instead of the short wall. I know this will cause a hit in performance, but the room will be much more usable set up that way as their is a book shelf at the back with cupboards that have been covered up with a couch for 10 years. hmmmmm Maybe I should convince her that form follows function eh?

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks