Newbie ?? on STR-DA4ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Clarke, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

So what's the ?. [​IMG]

2. MattJS

MattJS Extra

My post got locked in the middle of typing, but I guess the topic still came in huh?

Ok, if IIRC,

#1 How easy is tuning using the S&V disc and the analog Radio Shack level meter? I have both, but being a rookie to HT I wanted to get an honest answer, not the reviews shown on Amazon.com etc.....

#2 Is it possible to run the audio for my VHS to the recvr and the video directly to the TV? I ran out of video inputs. It seems I play PS2 and Xbox more often than watch VHS tapes...

#3 Does anyone have any general tuning tips for my setup? I know this question is probably posted quite often from new users, so any advice at all would be appreciated.

I guess I should tell y'all the setup...

Sony STR-DA4ES recvr
    Polk RM6600 w/350 Sub
    Samsung DVD (bottom of the line)
    PS2
    Xbox
    Sony DirecTV

TIA for any comments, and let me just say I have already found a lot of useful info, and the atmosphere on this forum is second to none. I especially like the fact that I can leave my flame suit at the door!

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Matt,
    Welcome to HTF.
    A word of advice: "...pay no attention to that man behind the curtain". Coming here can be very similar to leaving Kansas. [​IMG]
    1)If by 'tuning' you mean calibrating your speaker channel levels, it is quite easy. I don't have the S&V disc but rather the AVIA and Video Essentials but the process is the same. I personally think it's better to use the remote and OSD of the receiver rather than the front panel controls. Also, it helps if you have a tripod to mount the meter in the proper location and height. This frees up your hands for 'double remote' duty.[​IMG]
    2)Of course you can always run audio to the receiver and video directly but it helps if you have multiple inputs on your TV set. I assume you're already using the monitor out from the receiver but if your TV set lacks more inputs you could always use a video switcher to keep from having to exchange cables.
    3)Do a basic calibration and get all channels level then sit back and listen, especially to music. The Bass management and EQ of the 4ES gives so much tweaking ability you should be able to sort out any room issues, if any. Just be patient.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would highly recommend ditching the Polk system and look into getting some nicer speakers when you can. If you want to stick with Polk, at least move up to the RTi line. The speakers you have do not do that receiver justice.