Newbie needs TV recs: 32" $800 to $1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Loren Jones, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Hi,

I don't think I am very well educated with regards to direct view TV choices, but I do know that I want a 32" or therabouts, and I think I will go with a 4:3 set unless someone here talks me out of it. Budget is $1000 max, and $800 is really more like it. Flat screen would be nice. Built in speakers etc don't matter. What features do I need, and which sets offer them in this price range? What is "the squeeze"?

Thanks,

Loren Jones

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Squeeze tightens the drawing area of the CRTs inside your TV so instead of painting the entire screen for a widescreen movie (and thus wasting resolution on the "black bars" on the top and bottom), the CRTs just paint a 16:9 area in the center of the set (so less resolution is wasted on the "black bars" and is instead used on the actual image).

If you want a flat screen direct view set, look at sets made by Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba.

Toshiba 32AF41 is $800 at Best Buy, probably less elsewhere. Dunno if it has the squeeze mode.

Sony's 32FS13 is $900 at BB, 16:9 squeeze mode, probably less elsewhere.

3. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Hey, thanks a lot...just the info I needed. I had tried interactive buying guides and FAQ's, but just wasn't getting the info I needed.

Thanks again,

Loren Jones

4. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I recommend the Wega 32FS13. I just picked one up and it looks great (after minor calibration - user menu changes only). The anamorphic squeeze alone is enough to buy this set.

I got it for $848 after tax ($899 less 10% coupon). I was in the same boat as you, I wanted a 32 or 36 inch set, but couldn't justify paying over $1,000 for a set that won't work with HD.

As far as a 16:9/HD set, you won't find much on the market under the $1,600 mark.

Considering that a regular 32" can still run you 400-500, it's a decent deal. The Wega is a great interim set until you make the jump to HD. Best Buy also just dropped the price of the 32fs13 to $850 and the 32fs17 to $949 (same tv with PIP).

A little out of your price range, but still a good deal is the Samsung 32" 1080i 4:3 model. It was about $1,299 at BB, which is probably the cheapest HD capable set out there. The great thing is that the Samsung won't be obsolete in 4-5 years, but you will be stuck watching a all of your HD programming on a 32" 4:3 set.