What's new

Newbie needs to know which satellite makes sense (1 Viewer)

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
I am still very new to the Home Theatre arena. I currently own a Panny 51" 4:3 HDTV (I watch OTA TV predominantly, DVDs 20%). I do not have a good audio system yet but will in the next 3 - 6 months. Currently I am a Charter cable customer but will be moving and am considering moving to satellite by the end of the month. Which service, i.e. Dish or DirectTV would be the best choice? I will not be purchasing the more expensive STB for HDTV signals right away (cost is a factor) but hope to later. I also want to connect our 27" direct view TV to whichever satellite system I choose so it will have to be a dual LNB system. I need to start planning now for the end of the month move. Thanks for any help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which service, i.e. Dish or DirectTV would be the best choice?
That's almost like asking what is better for Dolby Digital, optical or coax? Dish has a couple of more movie channels but DirecTV has more sports.

Currently DirecTV has the better picture quality since the local channels are on a spot beam satellite. Dish will have their new satellite activated in about a month.

With DirecTV you have more options for receivers. With Dish, the current models are 301 (basic), PVR501 (digital recording, Dolby), PVR508 (501 with a bigger hard drive) and 6000 (high def). The PVR models are slightly buggy. DirecTV has receivers from every major manufacturer. The most popular model recently has been the DirecTivo. It has way too many features to list. Much more stable than Dish's PVRs.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks