What's new

Newbie Needs Speaker Suggestions (2 Viewers)

Patrick Walden

Auditioning
I had originally posted this in another forum but it was suggested I break it up into the indivdual forums.

I'm replacing an all-in-one system. I have about $2500 for budget.

Below is what I have picked out for speaker possibilities. I would most likely run this with a Denon 3805 receiver, a Denon 1910 DVD player, a Denon DP-29F turntable and maybe a Denon DCM-280 CD changer (I may get talked out of this.)

Our room is about 15X20 at max. We listen to all kinds of music from Classical to Heavy Metal. I would like to keep the speakers to about $1000 or less.

Speakers
Rocket by Onix Extremely Luscious Theater (ELT) $999.99
Are they that much better then the Rocket Tykes 5.1 Home Theater for $399?

Also I like the Fluance SX-HTB which are around $249 but I would need help finding a subwoofer. Most likely the SVS Model 25-31PCi for $549. Seems I would get better bass with this combo but not sure.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I'd drop the CD changer for now and let the 1910 handle all playback duties. If music is your thing, go for the ELT package. The SVS will be great for bass. I have Ascend Acoustics in my home, and personally think they should be on anyone's short list that is considering internet direct speakers. I have CMT-340's across the front, CBM-170's for rears, and an HSU VTF3-MkII sub. A CMT-340 center and 4 CBM-170's would fit your budget nicely and sound wonderful playing music. That's my .02 and YMMV. By the way, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the internet direct brands including Rocket, Ascend, HTD, Swan, etc. For the average joe like me that doesn't have 10K to spend on speakers, they are a great way to make money go further.

TonyWright

Second Unit
Would the 3805 be overkill for the speakers in question though?

You may be able broaden your selection of speakers if you were to go with say the 2805 or something of the like.

Just a possibility.

On a side note, I am really quite curious about the Denon DVD-1910. If you end up with that player, I would very much like to hear your impressions.

Tony

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Tony makes a good point. For a receiver, speaker, sub, universal player type setup, the speakers will be the most resistant to becoming technologically obsolete. It may not be a bad idea to step down to the 2805, which is a great receiver, and put more of the cash into speakers and sub.

Patrick Walden

Auditioning
If I keep the 3805 and went with better speakers (which means I go over budget but that may be ok). What speakers would you suggest I get for the Denon 3805?

Thanks!

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
What brand are you leaning toward? What's the max budget just for speakers? Since you plan on getting the SVS, take that out of the equation. Also, do you want dipoles or monopoles for surround?

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I assume your going for a 5.1 system?

For 1k, I'd go with 4 NHT superzeroes from Onecall for $75 a piece, then look for a good used NHT center on ebay or some such for around $150, and that leaves your $550 for an entry level sub from HSU , SVS , or some such.

Good luck and have fun!

Eric C D

Second Unit
To answer your original question: yes, the ELT speakers are quite a bit better than the Tykes (I've seen both, not at the same time, but it is an obvious difference). Also, the price you quoted for both was for systems with their own subwoofers. If you look at the ELT with sub, you should think about the size of the room it's going into. One final note on that specific product - IMO the center channel is very good for the price of the system.

All the other recommendations made also sound worthwhile. I particularly like the recommendation of the 2805 paired with anything in the sub/sat type rather than moving up to the 3805. I'd put the diff into the subwoofer.

But to get back to a general answer to your basic question, anytime you can move up from mini-satellites to full-size bookshelves as satellite speakers, you're going to be much happier.

P.S. If you decide on the ELT route, talk to the guys at AV123 about d*n*n receivers and/or subwoofer alternatives.

enjoy!

Patrick Walden

Auditioning

I guess I'm not sure what brand, I would need some suggestions. I've only looked at the Fluance and ELT so far. My max budget was $1000 but if you think I should spend more to get the most out of a denon 3805 then I'm open to hear your thoughts. I really would like to stay under $2k for the speakers. It does seem most people think I should move down to the Denon 2805. But the diliema here is I can get a Denon 3805 refurb for $699 and I can get the Denon 2805 refrub for $622. Only $72 difference.

My original budget in whole was $2500, I don't mind going over that but would like to stay under $4000.

I'm not sure what a dipole or monopole is. I'm very new to this.

Thank you!

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
If you can get the 3805 for that, then go for it!! A dipole has opposing drivers that are wired out of phase to give a diffuse sound that some prefer. A monopole is like a standard speaker design. I'm a monopole guy, as I also listen to multi-channel music. To me they sound better for HT, too, but's that a personal preference. Speakers are very personal, also, and I can only comment on what I own. However, for 2K, you could get a great, great set. My Ascend/HSU combo was about 1,800. There are also some great packages around that price from Rocket, HTD, Aperion, and Axiom. Check subs from HSU and SVS whichever speakers you decide on. I'm a huge fan of internet direct speakers. I would suggest ordering one pair to see if you like them. If so, order the rest of the set. If not, you're only out shipping on one pair of speakers. I doubt you'll be disappointed with any of the internet direct brands.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I would also highly recommend Swan at www.theaudioinsider.com. I have a complete set and I love it. I prefer dipoles for my rear speakers, but I am considering adding 2 more monopoles as my side surround speakers and then move my dipoles to the surround back channels.

Swans are great speakers. In my opinion, they deserve a look as well as the others that have been mentioned.

Tony

Patrick Walden

Auditioning
Do most people use bookself style in front and tower in the rear? Or towers all the way around? I see packages done both ways.

Thanks again!!

lyradWong

Grip
Maybe you should go for Denon 2910 instead of 1910.

The 1910 doesn't seems to have multi-channel output. I suggest you to find out the spec before buying it. Just my 2 cents.:)

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Some people do towers in the front and bookshelves for the rest. Some do towers all around. If your primary use is HT with some music thrown in, I'd go with bookshelves all around with the sub to handle all the low frequencies. Calibrated correctly, a satellite/sub combo will sound seamless.

Patrick,

Floorstanders are quite a bit more expensive than bookshelves. In most cases you can get much better sound from bookshelf's than going with floorstanders in the same price range. Like Eddie mentioned good bookshelves and a well placed sub make excellent combos.

If you listen to classical and heavy metal then you might want to check out B&W. The DM 601 start at 450/pair and the LCR 60 is $350 U.S. Monitor Audio bronze starts around the same and are excellent speakers.

I agree with Eric spend more on the speakers than the hardware. You can always add an amp later.

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding dipole (and bipole) speakers...

It's my understanding that bipoles and dipoles make use of the bouncing of the soundwaves off the side walls and the back wall of the room. But what if you don't have a back wall for your room? Would monopoles be the better choice in that case? How about the Axiom quadpoles?

Patrick Walden

Auditioning
Great ideas/suggestions from everybody. This is really helping. Has anybody tried speakers that say they can swith back and forth from dipole to monopole? Just curious, I see some of those out there. Wondering how well they work.

And as asked above, what are Multi-directional Quadpolar? Saw some of these two.

Also. Am I crazy for considering how I like the look of them? So far I like the look of the Swans and Rockets the best.

Thanks again!! Everybody is very helpful!

TonyWright

Second Unit
Fortunately if you like the look of the Swans and the Rockets, you would be getting an outstanding product that also looks quite nice.

Personally I would choose a speaker that sounds better over one that looks better (to a certain extent). I was fortunate enough to have picked the Swans so I got the best of both worlds.

There are a number of factors that people consider when selecting speakers though. Most have the WAF issue to deal with. :)

Just my opinions...

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks