Newbie needs some Help/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Lemmings, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty much a n00b to the HT scene. I'm contemplating buying my first "Nice TV" for my HT I'm building. I've got a few lingering questions which I can't seem to figure out.

I watch TV/movies/and play console games (PS2 & xbox). Now I've read lots of places that if you play video games you shouldn't get a RPTV due to possible burn-in. I also want to get a widescreen TV - how will video games turn out on a widescreen (ie: will you see black bars on the side)?

Since I do play video games should I write off all possibilites of getting a RPTV?

Is it true that RPTVs will almost always give a picture NOT as clear as direct view TVs (I'm talkin' only HDTVs here)?

I've always been told that Sony makes the BEST TVs, but I've read some good stuff about Toshibas here on this forum, I've been basically debating between these 2 brands. The most important thing for me is picture quality.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, some suggestion on models would be great. I'm looking for at least 36" TV, up to max of mid 50" (this is for my bedroom).
    Price wise the Max I'm lookin' to spend is around $3000 US (must be HDTV and preferrably widescreen though I have thought about the sony XBRs).

Thanks guys for helpin' out a n00b, LOL!

2. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Hi Luke! Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

The big problem with games whether it's with RPTVs, Plasma, or anything else is the potential problem of burn-in. Burn-in is always a risk but games increse the risk because of frequent static images. Dialing down the contrast helps a lot but you need to be much more careful with an RPTV than you do with an LCD.

Given your price range you might want to consider an LCD projector. With one of those you don't have to worry about burn-in nearly as much, you could have a native 16x9 screen ratio that reverts to 4:3 without squeezing, and you could play games with a 100" screen [​IMG] . Not to mention you wouldn't have an enormous box to house, tweak, and worry about moving. It would cost a little more than an RPTV but it would spare you the gray bars and uneven wear on the tube.

I have an RPTV, a Mitsubishi (which are great btw), and I wouldn't play games on it. The picture is great but the side viewing isn't clear and the stretch modes would distort the edges too much. Since I play EQ completely viewable screen edges are important. And also since I play EQ I camp, and a static image is a real possibility. [​IMG]

LCD projectors have come a long way and their prices are dropping all the time. Check out AVS Forum for all kinds of talk about projectors and display devices. Those guys are very hard core and many people in HTF visit both forums. They complement each other remarkably well.

3. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the great suggestions, I'm researching some LCD projectors right now. I like the Panny PT-L300U.

Hows are picture quality on most LCD projectors?

Better then RPTV but not as good as Direct View TVs? Is this a correct assessment?

One thing I'm a little concerned about with LCD projector is that this is for my bedroom. I plan on sitting or lying on my bed watching this. My room is about 9-10 ft across. Is this enough room for a projector?

Any other suggestions would be great guys thanks!