Newbie needs RPTV selection help bad!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DonM, Feb 24, 2004.

1. DonM

DonM Agent

I have been looking at RPTV's until my eyes are crossed at this point. I have done searches , read every available article and review I can. As a result of all this I am only slightly closer to making a decision at this point in selecting my RPTV.
    My selections are:

Tosh 65HX93
    Hitachi 65S700
    Mitsubishi Platinum or Diamond series 65"

I like the Tosh picture. It was reviewed highly. The Hitachi is a tweekers delight with a great picture as well.
    The Mits is where I have a problem. I have a great Mits dealer locally with outstanding service. He has been around for 30 years and sells Mits exclusivley. The problem is when I looked at the Mits screen it seemed you had to go up to the Platinum or Diamond series to get a comparably sharp picture to the Tosh. There was a definite "sweet spot" in the middle of the screen with noticeable darking as you went out from the middle to the edges. The Diamond series was perfect however. These sets are considerably more expensive as well. Am I missing something here? is there a Mits model I should be considering in a 65" size. What is the take on people that own the Mits line? And how is the Tosh reliability record vs Mits? Can anyone please shed some light on this for me before I go entirely mad???? I need help bad!

2. ChrisTheg

ChrisTheg Agent

Take ir from someone in the biz that you would be much happier with the Mits Diamond. They are an all around much better set.

3. DonM

DonM Agent

Thanks Chris for the response. Can you give me a reason WHY I would be happier with the Mits? Is the Diamond that much of an improvement over the Platinum 65" set? It is considerably more expemnsive. I guess I'm one of those "show me" kind of people.

4. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

There's a local high end retailer here in San Antonio that sells Mit's and Toshi's. The salesmen there, in my experience, push the Mit's TVs over all others. I have a feeling the Mit's may have a better commission than the Toshi's. Personally, the recent reviews I've read have all been good towards Toshiba and ho-hum towards Mitsubishi.

One day I was in the store comparing the Sony 510 vs the Mit's 613. The salesman said the Mit's was a much better TV. When comparing them, I had to tweak the Mit's for a long time before I liked the pic better than the Sony pic, and that was with no tweaking of the Sony pic.

I went back a few weeks later and the same salesen told me he'd come to like the Sonys a lot more since I'd been there.

I say go with the one you like. If they're close and one is much much cheaper, then go cheap[​IMG]

If you're worried, buy the warranty.

Home Theater Mag loved the Toshi and was less than impressed with the Mits. I think their unbiased opinion says a lot.

5. DonM

DonM Agent

Thanks david for the response. I was all set to drop a wad on a Mits Diamond or Platinum series 65" but you make sense. I do like the Tosh picture very much and try as I might to like the Mits it didn't have the PQ of the Toshiba 65HX93 series. The Mits have beautiful cabinets but you don't watch movies on the cabinets. I just can't justify dropping $5000 on a Diamond 65" when I can get a comparable picture and a 5 year warranty for just over $3000. I wonder why all the ISF techs like the Mits tvs so much. In fact a lot of them over at the Home Theater Spot own Mits. Could be an ease of servicibility issue I suppose. Its funny my Mits dealer referred to the tosh as a "throw away" tv.