Newbie needs opinions for prepro and amp..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PhilipM, Feb 10, 2004.

1. PhilipM

PhilipM Auditioning

Hello, I've been lurking in the background of this forum for some time now as I comtemplated the purchase of a new system. I have DefTech BP2000,CLR 1000 and BP20 speakers (I may add a few later for 6.1 or 7.1). Right now I am in the midst of selecting a prepro and amp for these speakers. I use the system for movies 90% of the time. I have 3,000 to 4,000 dollars for this purchase. I am no audio expert so, your insight is greatly appreciated. I am looking at the following systems:

B&K Ref. 50 2000.00
    B&K 200.5 3000.00 (think I can find this cheaper)

Outlaw
    950 PrePro
    770 Pwr Amp 2400.00 for both

Rotel 1068 1700.00 (comes out in a couple of weeks)
    Rotel 1095 2000.00

I don't know the prices on Anthem systems. I have relatives who live in Michigan. They may be able to purchase the system in Canada and save me a few bucks to bring the Anthem components within my price range.
    Anthem AVM 20
    Anthem MCA 50

What are your experiences with these systems and which would you recommend? Can you rank these according to sound quality?

2. SteveL

SteveL Agent

I just purchased the Anthem Products you mentioned, and you may be able to get both for about $4000. In that range, the Anthem is tops in my book. Good luck. By the way, I am on the east coast.

3. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

The street price of the Ref. 50 is now $1500.[​IMG]

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I think any of those make a fine system. Try to give them all an audition before you buy. Best to audition in your own house with your own gear. Most dealers will allow you to audition them in your house (you may have to pay a retainer if you don’t have a relationship with them).

5. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

I could not agree more with Mike. You are making a major investment so try the product out. Take the info you learn here and then let YOUR ears decide. You may want to look into the new stuff from Sherwood Newcastle. It is said to be out by mid-february. You can also do better with B stock from Outlaw.

Good luck-