What's new

Newbie needs help (1 Viewer)

Steven_B

Agent
I really need help. I have been piecing together a H/T system for myself and am going to receive my last and most important piece my receiver on Wednesday. I have spent all my time researching this receiver and a DVD player, which I picked out for my Wife to give me for Christmas. So it's only recently dawned on me that I really don't know the best way to hook up all this equipment. This is a list of what equipment I have and which cables I already possess.

TV-Sharp 25" composite in only.

DVD-JVC XV-S62

VCR-JVC composite only

CD-Yamaha-CDC-555 composite

Receiver-Harman Kardon AVR-320

Speakers-5 piece JBL

Sub-KLH KSSUB-10

-CABLES- 1#Monster composite A/V, 1#Home Depot composite A/V, 1#Monster composite audio. Speaker wires-2# 10FT Monster 12 gage, 16gage for my rears however they will be long so I'm thinking of going with 14 gage.

Any help would be appreciated.

AbelM

Second Unit
You give me this to play with? Hmmmm, ok...
TV-Sharp 25" composite in only.
DVD-JVC XV-S62
VCR-JVC composite only
CD-Yamaha-CDC-555 composite
Receiver-Harman Kardon AVR-320
Speakers-5 piece JBL
Sub-KLH KSSUB-10
Take your DVD-JVC XV-S62, and plug the video of it into your TV-Sharp 25". Then plug your audio from DVD-JVC XV-S62, to your Receiver-Harman Kardon AVR-320.
DVD is Done.
Take the audio cable from your CD-Yamaha-CDC-555 composite to your Receiver-Harman Kardon AVR-320.
CD is Done.
Now I believe you have a sub out on that Receiver-Harman Kardon AVR-320, am I correct? If so, you need to go buy a sub cable to go from your Receiver-Harman Kardon AVR-320 to your Sub-KLH KSSUB-10.
Sub is Done.
The rest you should know how to connect, just connect the speakers into their assigned spots on the back of your Harman Kardon AVR-320. :D

Steven_B

Agent
Please correct me if I'm wrong but was "you give me this to play with Hmmmm ok" meant to be condescending. I apologize that I do not have a multi-million dollar setup but it's what I could afford. If I wasn't clear in my question please clarify. If it's just because you were bragging than don't let me take you away from what must be a far superior system.

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't read Abel's post as condicending at all.

More like it was a challenge. Because there was little information to go on.

There are lot's of forums that have a "better than thou" attitude. Believe me, this isn't one of them.

Having said that, I will say that AbleM may have left out a detail.

The connection of your DVD player can be made with a Coax, optical or analog cable. Or even all three.

You will need to connect with a Coax or optical to decode DD.

Once you complete the connection you may have to tell the receiver what connection you are using. don't forget to get into the menu of the DVD player and make the approprate settings there as well.

It's all in the manuals, but if you have any other questions, please come back and ask.

Danny B

Grip
i think he meant that the components that you have is way too easy to connect and it was a no brainer for him...

I dont he meant anything else.

And yes,if you wanna use the DD or DTS(if one of the units has decoder for it)sound,connect it using a coax or optical from dvd to reciever,much better sound.

AbelM

Second Unit
Steven_B:
My post was not meant to be condescending at all! I swear, all I meant by that, whas that you gave us [the forum] really no info as to what you wanted to be done. So I went with the way I would have done it, that's all.
and...
Anthony Stephan:
Thank you very much for "adding" those extra details. Like I said up above [and you said] there wasn't alot of info to go on, so I went with the way I would have done it. So thanx for telling him more options...
and...
Danny B:
Thanx for taking the time and posting that it was easy for anyone to do it. Yet, he needed help, as he said in the Topic, "He is a newbie". I am glad you had no negetive replies for him though. And as Anthony Stephan said, "This is not a forum for put-down's" :D
Thanx both Danny B and Anthony Stephan for your help in this Topic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks