What's new

newbie needs help (1 Viewer)

servant386

Grip
Real Name
steve
Bought 2 paradigm 90p`s on E-bay and also bought 2 Energy Audyssey A5+2`s from a local auction. Havent heard either set but I am sure they will outperform my $300 pioneer HTIB . Read the reviews first about the speakers but after I purchased them saw a forum advising another owner of P90`s to forget about buying an onkyo or denon receiver because of certain issues , mostly power and to buy a preamp and amp . I assume the audiophiles know what they are talking about , but am asking here for advice . I didnt even know what a pre-amp was until last week and at the same time was informed that all amps arent able to power all 5 speakers . Hey, I`m new . LOL . Help please.

garyttu

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
It really depends on your budget. If you are going from HTIAB to a nice home theater setup i'd recommend starting with a basic receiver (I've used denon with paradigm and they pair well). You can always add a power amp later for certain/all speakers. To do separates right (the pre and power amps) you are going to end up spending up in the 2000 dollar range. Low to midrange denons or equivalent should drive those babies just fine.

servant386

Grip
Real Name
steve
Thanks , I was thinking of buying used decent quality pre-amp -Amp combo like Nad or some other good used deal , or the new Emotiva LPA-1,LMC-1 combo that Audioholics raves about after I had read that post I mentioned . Now I`m wondering why the posting I read said not to buy the receiver , instead buy the amp . By the way they reciomended mostly NAD or Rotel . Is it because they just think receivers are inferior ?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Steve. Welcome to HTF! :)

My first advice to you is to consider a HT system and a Music system to be 2 totally different things. When people give you advice - you need to ask yourself "Are they coming from a Music perspective or a HT perspective?"

Now you have bought some respectable music speakers. Is that your goal - a music system? Or are you making the mistake thinking that a mix of superior speakers might give a superior HT system? I'm afraid this is wrong.

Here is the idea: The goal of a music system is accuracy and people often want to mimic an outdoor concert hall in their living room, and enjoy it on the other side of the house.

A HT system is 2-3 seats surrounded by a ring of speakers. You dont care how it sounds in another room and you dont want tons of volume because the 5 speakers would compete/over-ride each other.

So you dont need nearly as much power for a HT system as you do for a music system.

Think of it this way: A HT system has sound coming out of the center speaker 100% of the time, the L/R about 40% and the rears 20%. A Music system with 5 speakers is creating sound out of all 5 (and complex sounds at that) 100% of the time.

The power demands for a music system is over twice that of a HT system. I suspect you have been listening to people coming from a MUSIC perspective.

The more modern Receivers for a home are less about the watts per channel and more about number of HDMI inputs, iPod connections, XMSat inputs, and the ability to stream things from your computer through your receiver to your HDTV.

Does this make sense?

Look - separates are a good thing and can do a great job for HT. Look at http://www.outlawaudio.com/ for a less-expensive alternative to NAD or Rotel. (Hit the receivers fourm and search for "Outlaw" to find customers & discussions). I'm not against WATTS of power or outboard pre-processors, but they tend to benefit music systems over HT/Entertainment systems. I'd rather see you spend money on a bigger display, better subwoofer, and 5 identical tone-matched speakers rather than sink most of your money into processor/am system.

Does this make sense?

If you are setting up a separate music system - Separates are a great way to go and the advice you read on other forums is correct. If you are trying to create a mix HT/Music system - look at a good receiver and matching speakers first.

Hope this helps.

servant386

Grip
Real Name
steve
Wow was I wrong . I thought that HT required more power and I am more interested in HR . My concern would be fairly close in percentages maybe 55% to 45% HT being the higher .
My goal for the next few years until I understand more and see what I like is to purchase a projector like a MITSUBISHI HC3000U and then use the speakers which I have already bought except the rears (which I havent purchased yet and hope to in the next week or two) AND get a future proof receiver or separates to do all rhe powering and switching .
Mostly I will watch DVD`S and listen to CD`s . Now I have a rear projection old TV so I dont know what the DLP front projector will do but I have read those who have it love it .
I read today about considering using a Yamaha 661 (I THINK ) as a preamp for all of the cool stuff out there . Would you recommend doing that . If so would I have ro purchase a separate amplifier . I am not too concerned with the looks of the equipment . But I must admit I liked the looks of the Emotiva separates which only cost $899. including freight . And then the next couple of tasks is to buy cables and do the wireing and positioning .
Thanks for your information Bob . I really do appreciate your time spent on giving advice and I am one to listen carefully .
PS : I have a Bic Venturi 15" subwoofer which I really like

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks