1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs help with speaker decision!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by lyan, Mar 12, 2003.

1. lyan

lyan Auditioning

I need help from the pros -- that's you!

I'm putting together a sound system (mostly for music, but an occasional DVD), and I can't settle on a set of speakers. I would prefer an all-in-one system for simplicity. My budget for the speakers is around $300-400, and they will go into a fairly small room

I've considered the following:
    Klipsch Synergy Quintet
    Polk RM6200
    Harman-Kardon HKTS 2
    Acoustic Research HC6
    Onkyo SKS HT500
    Lower-end cerwin-vega

I'll be hooking them up to a Marantz SR5200.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    P.S. My choice of music is mostly classical/jazz, if it makes a difference.
    Thank you!!!

2. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

Out of that list, I'd probably narrow it down to the Klipsch, Polk, and maybe the Acoustic Research. I'd avoid speakers made by the receiver manufacturers, as it isn't their top priority. With a warm receiver like a Marantz, you may get a nice pairing with a bright speaker like the Klipsch. Although Klipsch are not that popular with listeners of classical and jazz, they are a very exciting speaker and a fine choice if you can find a way to tone down their horn. The Marantz just might do that. Good luck!

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

4. lyan

lyan Auditioning

I was actually hoping for a 5.1 speaker package. Unless you think getting bookshelves is better.

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

check out the thread about "dirt poor" below this one...it has some good ideas...I'd look into the jbl's that phil and others have recommended..I believe jand r(good source) has free shipping...so more speaker for less!

6. lyan

lyan Auditioning

Thanks for input. I'll consider the JBLs. Of the stuff that I listed, is it all garbage?

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

$300-400 for a 5.1 set up is kind of thin. I'd look for the JBL's already mentioned. I haven't listened to the speakers in your list to comment. Nice receiver.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter