What's new

Newbie needs help with speaker decision!!! (1 Viewer)

lyan

Auditioning
I need help from the pros -- that's you!

I'm putting together a sound system (mostly for music, but an occasional DVD), and I can't settle on a set of speakers. I would prefer an all-in-one system for simplicity. My budget for the speakers is around $300-400, and they will go into a fairly small room

I've considered the following:
Klipsch Synergy Quintet
Polk RM6200
Harman-Kardon HKTS 2
Acoustic Research HC6
Onkyo SKS HT500
Lower-end cerwin-vega

I'll be hooking them up to a Marantz SR5200.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
P.S. My choice of music is mostly classical/jazz, if it makes a difference.
Thank you!!!

Ian Lascell

Agent
Out of that list, I'd probably narrow it down to the Klipsch, Polk, and maybe the Acoustic Research. I'd avoid speakers made by the receiver manufacturers, as it isn't their top priority. With a warm receiver like a Marantz, you may get a nice pairing with a bright speaker like the Klipsch. Although Klipsch are not that popular with listeners of classical and jazz, they are a very exciting speaker and a fine choice if you can find a way to tone down their horn. The Marantz just might do that. Good luck!

lyan

Auditioning
I was actually hoping for a 5.1 speaker package. Unless you think getting bookshelves is better.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
check out the thread about "dirt poor" below this one...it has some good ideas...I'd look into the jbl's that phil and others have recommended..I believe jand r(good source) has free shipping...so more speaker for less!

lyan

Auditioning
Thanks for input. I'll consider the JBLs. Of the stuff that I listed, is it all garbage?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
$300-400 for a 5.1 set up is kind of thin. I'd look for the JBL's already mentioned. I haven't listened to the speakers in your list to comment. Nice receiver.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Of the stuff that I listed, is it all garbage?
No, each set offers very good performance and quality but for the price vs. performance ratio - Objective Benchmarks shows that the JBL NSP1 is leading in the pack!
Frequency Response
N-24 front left/right... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
.... Averaged over a ±30° window, with double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30°

N-Center.................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
.... Averaged over ±45°, with double weight directly on-axis.

N-24 surround.......... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
.... Averaged over a ±60° window with double weight given to the widest off-axis angles.

Using the same Standard Speaker Objective Testing Procedures by Tom Nousaine, ...

Klipsch Synergy Quintet
Frequency Response
front left/right.... 188 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.4 dB
center............... 156 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
surround........... 188Hz to 20 kHz ±3.5 dB

Acoustic Research HC6
Frequency Response
HC6 front left/right....125 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.1 dB
HC6 center.............. 110 Hz to 20 kHz ±4.2 dB
HC6 surround.......... 125 Hz to 20 kHz ±4.9 dB

S&V did not benchmark the Polk RM6200, but they did the ...
Polk Audio RM7500
Frequency Response
RM755 front left/right.... 103 Hz to 17.5 kHz ±2.3 dB
RM75C center.............. 103 Hz to 20 kHz ±4.6 dB
RM755 surround........... 103 Hz to 11.2 kHz ±2.3 dB

You can easily blend the JBL NSP1's to just about any sub (like the SVS 25-31PCi which my brother did) due to the JBL NSP1's usable lower frequency extension, which is not bad for a 4" woofer!!!

For more JBL N-Series Speaker INFO & Reviews w/links, see my web page Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!.

NOTE: Because my website is 'FREE', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!

Hope this helps,
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks